Vitamin D Question

Deanne K.
on 2/12/09 10:43 am - Tucson, AZ

Hi All,

I have a question about the vitamin D.  Is there anything medications or vitamins that I can't take with it.  I found some of the dry Vitamin D locally and was wondering if anyone know of the best source for A,D,K.  I am and ERNY and am majorly malabsorbing the vitamins as we all knew would happen.  I suspect that the E will be there as well.  Any suggestions, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,I just feel like pulling my hair out if you know what I mean.  I did do some research and haven't found my answers yet.
Help.

PekinSal
on 2/13/09 6:52 am - UK
You might want to ask this question on the main board, addressed to Vitalady. She's ERNY too and advises us DSers on what we should be taking too - like dry vitamin A and D because the fat soluble ones go straight through us both.

I think D is ok to take with everything - iron seems to be the one you have to take on its own.

Sal

DS revision from failed lapband

(deactivated member)
on 2/13/09 2:16 pm, edited 2/13/09 8:03 pm - Togo
This isn't exactly what you were asking but these are good sources for getting those vitamins into you naturally: 

a tablespoon of cod liver oil a day is an excellent source of vitamin d and vitamin d is essential for malabsorption issues.

salmon, mackerel, and sardines, in that order, are also high in vitamin D.

liver, spinach, mozzarella cheese, in that order, are all high in vitamin A.

Vitamin K is, generally speaking, found in green vegetables such as kale, collard greens, spinach, brussel sprouts.

PekinSal
on 2/14/09 1:43 am - UK
Thing is though, eRNYers and DSers dont actually absorb much of the fat from food - so cod liver oil would go out of my body exactly the same state as it went in! Same goes for the vitamins in fish, cheese and vegetables. We don't absorb enough to keep us healthy (partly because we can't fit much food in either), and have to supplement.

This is why we take 'dry' vitamins that are powder rather than dissolved in oil, so that they hang around long enough to be absorbed. I have regular blood tests too to make sure I'm taking enough - in my case 50,000 iu of vitamin D a day, which is enough to poison a normal person...

DS revision from failed lapband

(deactivated member)
on 2/14/09 6:48 am, edited 2/16/09 5:56 am - Togo
thank god i didn't get that revision!!!

Deanne K.
on 2/16/09 6:30 am - Tucson, AZ
Coconut,

This is one of the concerns going into a revision of this type or having the DS, Distal or Extended RNY surgery.  ADEK are fat soluable vitamins and we don't absorb them as easily.

According to my Endocrinologist, Vit. D deficiency can happen in Roux-en-Y gastric bypass, celiac, colitis, and other types of gastric problems or any type of gastric surgery.  He tests all of his bypass patients for Vit. D as he sees it all too often even with a standard bypass.  I was seeing him for a totally non-weight loss related issue and he tested for it, without me even knowing it, so I was a little surprised when I received his phone call that it was a little low.  I am very happy that he did run this test as now I can start treating it prior to my 6 month follow-up labs.

I am glad that you got the revision of your choice.  I am not unhappy with my choice, I will now have to watch things even more closely. 

Thanks for all your input, it really did help.
(deactivated member)
on 2/16/09 7:17 am - AZ
I had my original RNY in 1997 and had very low Vitamin D levels. I had severe osteoporosis. Now with a ERNY I am on 2400mg per day of calcium and seem to be absorbing it just fine. I don't have osteoporosis this time around. I guess we all have to really watch our lab work. I guess every ones body absorbs everything different.  Did you like the article I sent you on Osteoporosis and Men ? I got it from my monthly Coding magazine. I sent it to Dustin and Scott since I never see anything written for men.
Deanne K.
on 2/16/09 7:45 am - Tucson, AZ
Dawn,
Yes, I did enjoy the article.  It wasn't just for men, it really goes for all of us and it does talk about the Vit. D, Calcium and the Vit. K.  Thanks for the info.
(deactivated member)
on 2/16/09 7:42 am, edited 2/16/09 9:12 am - Togo
I wish you the best of luck in figuring your way out of this one ! What a mess you've put yourself in !

Deanne K.
on 2/16/09 1:29 pm - Tucson, AZ
I have every confidence in my 3 great Physicians as well in a very strong faith in God, that we will figure this all out as a team.    

Unfortunately, the lapband was not an option for me, but good luck to you!

I wish you the best with your new lapband revision and hope that you don't have any complications as we all know that they also have their own risks and complications.
Most Active