stomaphyx pt on the Doctor's (Oprah's channel)

JRinAZ
on 2/12/09 5:30 am - Layton, UT
Many have asked stomaphyx questions.  I just turned on the t.v. and heard "gastric bypass" soooooo.,.tuned in.  Ask Our Doctor's featured a gal who had regain from her original Rny.  the Bariatric surgeon was televised doing an endoscopy and then the stomaphyx.  A couple of months later, the pt came on "live" with her admirable weight loss.

the surgeon emphasized the common stretching that can/does occur to pouches "if" the patient has not been compliant (blaming it mostly on us!) and that the stomaphyx could be undone as well if the pt wasn't  compliant.

I truly wish this procedure were the miracle cure for Rny mishaps cuz it's an easy quick fix! 

I wish the best for that pt.  she was beautiful and young and deserves to be at a healthy weight forever (as do all of us)......I hope it sticks for her but I remain skeptical from past testimonials.....

Anyone else see it?  Thoughts?
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

JanelG
on 2/13/09 6:34 am - Canada
I saw that episode too...I think they over glorified the results, from what I read on this forum, stomaphyx is NOT all that!  Good for her though...30 lbs in 2 weeks! 
Anyone have results for stomaphyx after VSG??
StacysMom
on 2/13/09 10:48 am
Stomaphyx is for tightening stomas and pouches.   With a VSG you don't have a stoma or a pouch.  You retain the normal functioning aspects of your stomach, only smaller and will significantly less Grehlin.   You only have a stoma when the surgeon constructs  a pouch, like with the RNY.
nurse4lyph
on 2/13/09 9:49 am
I have read the Stomaphyx is good for individuals that need to loose up to 20 pounds.... I looked into this as well and really think the DS is for me! I wish I did see this but did n't --- I too guess "I failed" LOL.....

Chris
Victory shall be mine -
betty890
on 2/16/09 5:48 am - Columbia, IL
I too watch the show The Doctors.  I saw the information regarding stomaphyx.  I live in the St. Louis area.  I am trying to find more information and possibly a doctor who does the procedure.  My gastric bypass was done in May 2001.  I lost 85 pounds and have put back on 25-30 pounds.  The weight is all in my midsection!
tutumama
on 2/21/09 5:17 am
Hey Betty M........Your message echoed my thoughts and situation eXACTLY!!!  My surgery was done in 2001 and I lost 85 lbs and have about 20 that I just was never able to loose.  AND, my mid section is where it's all "hangin' out"!!!!  I'm really interested in having the stomaphyx done if it would alleviate this extra 20 lbs., but have no idea if insurance will cover it or how much money we're talking about if you self-pay....do you or does anybody else know the answer to these questions???????  Thanks so much!
wrkplaydream
on 2/24/09 12:20 pm
Hi Betty there is a Dr. in MI Dr. Pleatman that does the procedure for $5000.00.  I am checking into but am just wanting more information from patients that have actually had it done.
Goddess31
on 2/18/09 8:26 am - Hollywood, FL
 I had RNY in 2003 I only lost like 80 to 90 lbs looking to drop at least 30 more I so want to be under 200 lbs. I'm currently 226. any suggestions? Willing to try revision but researching cost . I'm in south florida
StacysMom
on 2/24/09 12:46 pm
 I answered this on another post.   Stomaphyx didn't work for anyone who posted here (and there were many.) I also provided a way for you to all read the original posts about Stomaphyx for yourselves by going on google.  Please read:

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/3871329/StomaphyX-revisi on-procedure/#31085999
Most Active