QUESTION ON REVISION

JROLFSON
on 2/10/09 8:06 am - St. George, UT
Has anyone on this Revision Site had a Distal or Extended Revision along with a Stomaphyx? Currently scheduling my revision and I know I already have a streched stoma, would like results from anyone who has possibly gone through this.

Thank you.

JRolfson
PekinSal
on 2/11/09 6:49 am - UK
I've not heard of it - I had the idea that Stomaphyx was a less invasive way of shrinking your stoma, so the extended bit possibly wouldnt be done at the same time.

Adding some malabsorbtion makes sense though if you don't think you'll lose all the weight even when your stoma is sorted out.

DS revision from failed lapband

JROLFSON
on 2/11/09 7:26 am - St. George, UT
I have discussed it with my Doctor, said he wasn't against doing it but don't remember if he said he ever had done it. Only problem with it is the stomaphyx portion of the procedures would be self pay. Another 8-10K. But because I have a streched stoma, it could actually help give some more restriction as well as malabsorbtion. Just hoping someone might have tried this already.

Thank you for your response.

JRolfson
JRinAZ
on 2/11/09 9:57 am - Layton, UT
"if" you revise to a DS then no stomaphyx is needed.  "If" you revise to Extended Rny then no worries about needing restriction either.  "MY" experience:  .....the malabsorption takes care of the weight loss with or without restriction.  ....... Talk with your doc but I would NOT throw money away on a stomaphyx.  My experience with schlerotherapy was not positive either.  It's rarely covered by insurance and so is expensive, usually takes many treatments to make a difference and then stretches out again.  OEMV.

It's hard to decide what will give us the total pkg but if I remember right, you said that a DS was NOT medically possible?  I'd recommend the Erny in that case but don't go for a wee little common channel like mine......the shorter the cc; the more likely it is that you'll have potty issues!  Good luck!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

JROLFSON
on 2/12/09 12:00 am - St. George, UT

I was hoping you would respond to this Joyce...I know you really did your homework before you went in for your ERNY. But what do you think the chances are that I could actually lose up to 65 lbs. That is what I need to do, is lose 60+ lbs. A DS would most definately be a very risky procedure for me, considering this is number 2 revision and the scar tissue and such.

How long does the weight loss last after the procedure. And what about your body adapting. My body adapted just a few years after my first RNY Revision. Although I was able to keep my weight down. As soon as I let my guard down the weight came on. So I'm really interested to know how long does the malapsorbtive mechanism continue to work, i.e the erny procedure. also...you said don't go to a shorter channel, what do you think is a good length. I want to lose as much as I can, for as long as I can. Course we all know how that feels.

Thanks so much for commenting here, I really have faith in your opinion, your tried and true.

JRinAZ
on 2/12/09 5:38 am - Layton, UT

YES YES YES!  You can definitely lose 65 plus pounds with an Erny revision.  I lost 60 plus and should have only lost 40......Those who have had much more excess than me, have lost tons more.....  And, if you're as diligent as I suspect you will be, I would guarantee great results to you personally!  Keep the whites out of your weight loss picture and you'll get there!!! (i.e. sugar, flour, rice, pasta, milk, etc)

Will it last?  Hmmmmm....results will vary as with all surgeries and pts  BUT,  if you'd like to know if "I" think you have the potential to keep it off?  Absolutely!

I know the DSer's cringe when I even suggest that my shortened cc is anything like theirs but according to research and surgeon's who are also DS surgeon's:  It is very similar if not much shorter than the majority of DSers.  And, if you go with "their" stats, you can have promise of long lasting weight loss.

As for the length of cc that I'd suggest?  I honestly am not the best to ask because i feel that my awful complications are definitely due to my very short cc.  Therefore, I would go with the recommendation that the majority of all Distal and DS surgeon's select, which is 100 cc.

Continue your research, and then find the surgeon that you feel most confident can get you to YOUR goals safely with good follow-up.

Good luck!

Joyce 

JodyG
on 2/12/09 7:19 am
So many acronyms....so new to the board.  Okay, I will feel like an idiot when you tell me, but what is ERNY...different than a plain rny?  And a DS? and Why do my cc's need to be short?  Help!  I am having a revision done on March 9.  It sounds like I may as well forget it.  Does anything ever really work?  Thanks, Jody in Dallas
JRinAZ
on 2/12/09 10:01 am - Layton, UT
On February 12, 2009 at 3:19 PM Pacific Time, JodyG wrote:
So many acronyms....so new to the board.  Okay, I will feel like an idiot when you tell me, but what is ERNY...different than a plain rny?  And a DS? and Why do my cc's need to be short?  Help!  I am having a revision done on March 9.  It sounds like I may as well forget it.  Does anything ever really work?  Thanks, Jody in Dallas
Erny = Extended Roux en Y (usually means having a cc aka common channel shorter than 100 centimeters)  Other surgeon's may still clasify it as a Distal.  This is often selected as a revision option for Rny's who are medically or financially unable to have a revision to a DS.

DS = Deudenol Switch .  Please  click on this link so you can see an illustration and get an explanation.  Note at the bottom of the illustration where the 2 blue arrows point to the common channel.

Not sure what you're having done on March 9th then you may consider cancelling until you've done your research.

Good luck!  I love the results of my revision and am learning to manage the complications.

http://www.duodenalswitch.com/procedure/procedure.html

Joyce 

JodyG
on 2/12/09 11:03 am

Thank you so much.  To be honest, I only know I am having a revision of a 25 year old VBG.  (See, I know an acronym!)    It is going to be a Roux en Y.  I meet with my surgeon again on the 24th.  I plan to pursue with him the ERNY and the DS.  I have tried to read some about the DS since reading your board.  I couldn't tell if the DS can be done laproscopicly.  (SP)  Can you tell me?  Is the recouperation period longer?  I am a teacher getting ready for state tests and I can't be out a terribly long time.  I am currently 340 lbs, 59 years old, 5'6".  thanks so much, again.  Jody

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 2/12/09 4:34 pm
Yes, the DS can be done laproscopically. Mine was, and you're generally discharged in a few days, and take it easy for several weeks. The DS, unlike the RNY or ERNY does not have the stoma issues, dumping, and has the best weight loss statistics and weight loss maintenance. You can also take NSAIDS, like Advil, Ibuprofen, Nuprin, aspirin etc.

You should visit the different surgery boards here to ask and research about the different ones. The folks on the DS board are pretty knowledgeable and helpful. Hope to see you there.
Most Active