Why do they offer surgey if it doen't work

SEWARD
on 2/10/09 12:47 am
I have not heard of the stomaphyx working. If they are having poor results they need to stop taking peoples money and try something Else. My sister payed cash for her gastric bypass in 2002  $25,000 because her insurance would not pay she lost weight about 90lbs. But has regained all most all back . she had the stomaphyx 2008 and payed $10,000 and nothing.I had gastric bypass in 2005 with good results and lucky for me my insurance did pay.I just hope I don't regain when I am five years out. I feel bad for her she has payed lots of money just to stop the madness and it has not work now she is going to see a new Dr. at the end of the month to see about a other revision maybe DS it worries me because of the risk we are twins and very close I know she is going crazy and she wants this thing that has consumed and made our life's very depressing  to stop she is tiered of fighting this Battle
PekinSal
on 2/10/09 6:11 am - UK
I don't think we should ever be asked to pay to take part in a 'study'. Especially when if it is successful only the surgeons will be making money out of it, and not the brave guinea pigs who trusted them first.

DS definitely works though, I know thats not much comfort but make sure her new doctor actually does DS revisions and isn't wasting her time again.

DS revision from failed lapband

charleston-mom
on 2/10/09 11:27 pm
They offer it because they can make money. Same thing with lapband.
FernTate
on 2/11/09 3:24 am
And they don't like it when things don't go well and you need aftercare.  Nothing in it for them, unless a chance to make more money. 
lisa_hutch
on 2/12/09 11:30 am - Indianapolis - New Palestine, IN
I often wonder about the lap band surgery.  It sounds like a sophisticated version of the solastic ring surgery I had in 1995.  It was a total waste of time and pain.
mellow
on 2/15/09 11:49 pm
Please urge your sister to see a doctor who specializes in "REVISIONS".  I really like my surgeon and he has a lot of experience doing RNY - but not sure on revisions.  I had complications (2 leaks, stent put in for 6 weeks, etc.) and although I am okay now - I think the stent stretched my stoma.  If I had it to do over - I definitely would research how many revisions a surgeon has performed.  I am losing (YEA!!) but I am having to use a lot more willpower than I had hoped.  I am hungry a lot.  I am learning to eat things that make me feel more satisfied.  Best of luck to you and your sister, mellow
Most Active