does a stretched stoma cause weight gain or is it just my fault for gaining the weight

sweetdarling_ab
on 2/9/09 7:28 am - Calgary, Canada
i would like to please know more about streched stoma, what people have done to have it fixed and if it helped. why does a streched stoma happin thanks Dawn
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 2/9/09 7:56 am
That is just something that happens with stomas. It's not your fault, it's just that they are a "created" unnatural opening in the stomach into the intestines, and they can get too large, or small, due to scar tissue. It's one of the reasons I didn't choose the RNY.
You need to talk to your surgeon, and see what they can do to help you. Don't take any BS about it being your fault, they need to fix it, as it's a common issue with RNY. Good luck.
sweetdarling_ab
on 2/9/09 10:59 am - Calgary, Canada
thanks to the both of u appriciate your answers. my sergeon says he does not fix it but is refering me to someone who does. warm regards Dawn
nurse4lyph
on 2/9/09 9:30 am
I completely agree with bearmom ---- NOT your fault........ Good Luck
Victory shall be mine -
RNY2002
on 2/10/09 12:54 am - MA
On Jan. 13th I had my stoma adjusted by sclerotherapy.  It's working really well.  I'm not starving all the time anymore and I've lost 25 1/4 lbs already!  I have my second procedure scheduled for Feb. 25. 
sweetdarling_ab
on 2/10/09 11:30 am - Calgary, Canada
hi, can u please tell me why u need a second preceure. thanks for your response. Dawn
RNY2002
on 2/10/09 9:43 pm - MA
The average person needs to have two procedures.  The Dr. does the injection in modest stages so as to not "close up" the stoma too much.  Obviously this would result in not keeping any food down as you would be "too tight". 

HTH.
Diane G.
on 2/16/09 1:03 am - Smithtown, NY
RNY on 07/25/05 with
Is sclerotherapy always self pay, and how much would it cost?
RNY2002
on 4/1/09 5:57 am - MA

I had RNY gastric bypass in June 2002.  I lost a total of 207 pounds.  Since then, I have regained 167 pounds!!! 

I had sclerotherapy almost 3 months ago today.   Here's my story:

I had my endo consult back in late November, my first sclero procedure on Jan. 13, my second one on Feb. 25 and going in for a endoscopy (potentially a 3rd treatment) on April 15.  I am doing soooo good!!!  I weigh in weekly and tomorrow is the day.  So far I have lost 34 1/2 pounds!  Woo hoo!!!  Aside from the weight loss though, I am no longer hungry all the time.  Actually, I am no longer hungry at all until it's really time to eat.  I've been eating about 1200 cals. a day; breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner and maybe a low cal snack if I get "head hungry".  The procedure really does work.  You will get your satiety back!  

It has worked really well for me this far.  When I first read about it on these boards I was really discouraged.  People made comments about how it worked for a few weeks and then "that was it".  It's not true.  It does work.  Understand that after a few weeks out of your procedure, your intake will increase.  This is normal.  The Dr. doesn't shrink your pouch.  He injects your stoma with a chemical that closes up the "drain" at the bottom of your pouch.  This is what keeps you fuller longer.  You still have to make good food choices and stick to a plan. 

Hope this info. helps.  I sure could have used this positive feedback when I was looking for it!
Most Active