Are you satisfied with your band?

(deactivated member)
on 3/1/09 3:26 am - AZ
On February 12, 2009 at 7:59 AM Pacific Time, Vampyrvet wrote:
I was banded (Realize) in June 2008 and received my first fill in July. (3cc's). I began vomiting shortly afterward, but like others on this message board I thought it was my fault for overeating/under-chewing, etc. By September, my band had slipped and I was fully obstructed. This required a 2nd surgery to reposition & re-secure the band. I had my first fill (3 cc's again) in November and began vomiting again 2 weeks ago. Saw my surgeon to get deflated yesterday, and he confirmed that my band has slipped AGAIN. I will have to undergo surgery for a third time. I am getting this evil thing removed, and currently considering which procedure to convert to. I have not lost more than a pound in the last 4 months, despite all the vomiting. Truthfully it will be a relief to get rid of this thing, not only because I am tired of not being able to eat healthful food, but also because the port has never stopped hurting since it was originally implanted. I've felt like I had a knife sticking out of my gut for 7 months now. I can't even wear jeans or anything with a firm waistband, because it puts pressure on the port and it digs into my muscle wall.  I am very active & love to exercise hard, but the port has severely reduced what I am able to do without pain.  For a weight-loss procedure to actually REDUCE your ability to exercise is unacceptable.  For a band to slip TWICE in only 7 months is unacceptable.  I don't think I could ever recommend that anyone have this procedure done! I regret my decision and hope I make a better one next time around.

HAHA!  The evil thing?  I think you are my new favorite person because you get it!

I have my band sitting in a baggie on my dresser.  I'm still trying to find a way to kill it so it cannot spread its evil to others. ;o)

Ask to keep your band, they should give it to you.  Then I double dawg dare you to find a way to kill it.  It WON'T die!  You can drag it behind a horse, run over it with a truck, you can even try to electricute it.  It just sits there.  LOL

We had a thread going on the sleeve boards for the many that have had their band removed and we were all trying to come up with a way to kill it.  It was a funny thread.

We finally decided the best use for a lap band is to use it as a refrigerator lock.  If it works on a frig like it works on a person, nothing will go in and nothing will come out. ;o)

(deactivated member)
on 3/1/09 3:17 am - AZ
On February 9, 2009 at 3:10 PM Pacific Time, zimra wrote:
Lap- banders, please take a moment and answer this survey.

A MO loved one is trying to decide on which surgery is right for him.
You can help him a great deal in making this decision:

On a scale of 1 - 10 How satisfied are/were you with your band? (1= not at all; 10= very satisfied)

Thank you!

I have a hard time answering that question.  I hated the band, it was a horror to me health wise yet it afforded me a 132# weight loss.  If I had it to do all over again I would have been sleeved to begin with.  Stats with the band are not good.  Per Inamed at 5 years people typically have only lost a little over half their excess weight.  Re-ops are 30-50% depending on which study you read and those are re ops in the first 5 years of banding.  It's loaded with potential risks and complications such as:

Slip
Erosion
Infection (risk with each band adjustment, not just at the time of surgery)
Band intolerance
Pouch dilation
Esophageal dilation
Stoma spasms
Port infections tend to get out of hand and lead to band removal
Dental damage due to vomiting (acid/tooth enamel)
Food limitations (many cannot eat solid protein or dense veggies)

It is the procedure that is the hardest to lose, hardest to maintain, and lowest weight loss.

The first band that came out was a mesh band, that was bad because it didn't work and many are very limited in which revisions they can do today because of the mesh.

Then they came out with a solid non adjustable band, that didn't work.

Then they came out with an adjustable band to try to limit band intolerance, that didn't work.

Now they have bigger bands and according to some doctors with the bigger bands as many as 10% of people can't get restriction because the band is too large.

I think they are going to have to reach a point where they finally admit that they gave it a good try but the band just doesn't work for a majority of the people long term.

If you go to the band boards and ask this question I can tell you what will happen.  For those that are banded for:

0-6 months.. they are in love with their band and in love with their surgeon.

6-12 months they are in love with their band, they figured out their surgeon isn't doing the work, they are.

12-18 months they are having problems but the scale is moving so they'll deal with the problems.

18-24 months they are sick of the darn thing and want it out.

24 months on they are getting revisions.

There will be a few exceptions to this but not many.  Try it on the band boards and see.  Of course, if the band boards see this post they will make an effort to find old timers and beg them to post.  But they won't find many.  :o(

To answer your 1-10 question... I'd have to give it about a 2.  It afforded me the weight loss but at a price.  A price I would not have had to pay with a sleeve.

Vampyrvet
on 3/1/09 4:24 am
If you've read my earlier post, you already know my answer to this question.  I give the band a big fat "0".  Yes, it has helped me to lose 25 pounds, but most of that was because I was obstructed, or otherwise in pain.  The band actually prevents me from eating healthy food such as chicken, rice, anything with fiber, etc.  The access port has been a constant source of pain and interferes with my ability to exercise, the clothes I can wear, etc.  Not the way I want to live my life.  And as new studies come out announcing re-operation rates in excess of 35%, the band becomes a less and less appealing option.  The ONLY good thing about these bands is that they are removable.  Personally, I don't think they should even be on the market, and my surgeon has said that he is unlikely to continue placing them.  As I prepare for surgery #3, I find myself wishing I had gone with the Sleeve to begin with.
Banded 6/08, Slipped 9/08
Revised Band 9/08, Slipped Again 2/09
Sleeved 3/09, Hoping the 3rd time's the charm!
(deactivated member)
on 3/1/09 4:36 am - AZ
On March 1, 2009 at 12:24 PM Pacific Time, Vampyrvet wrote:
If you've read my earlier post, you already know my answer to this question.  I give the band a big fat "0".  Yes, it has helped me to lose 25 pounds, but most of that was because I was obstructed, or otherwise in pain.  The band actually prevents me from eating healthy food such as chicken, rice, anything with fiber, etc.  The access port has been a constant source of pain and interferes with my ability to exercise, the clothes I can wear, etc.  Not the way I want to live my life.  And as new studies come out announcing re-operation rates in excess of 35%, the band becomes a less and less appealing option.  The ONLY good thing about these bands is that they are removable.  Personally, I don't think they should even be on the market, and my surgeon has said that he is unlikely to continue placing them.  As I prepare for surgery #3, I find myself wishing I had gone with the Sleeve to begin with.

A lot of doctors are getting away from banding.  The re ops and complications are getting out of hand.

There are hospitals in Sweeden that won't do banding anymore, the country of Chile is doing away with it, they'll only do sleeves and bypass.  It's not just us... a small group of people.  This is a great number of people.

I think the band has been out in the US long enough that the cycle is forming.  First banding, then problems, then changes in the band, now revisions.

Most Active