Stretched Stoma (XPOST)

(deactivated member)
on 2/8/09 6:21 am
The more I read about this, I really think this may be my problem, I guess I will know for sure when I have my upper gi on the 11th.  I'm wondering ...can it be fixed?
Lorie2
on 2/8/09 9:54 am
that is my problem, dialated stoma. I researched many things including the stomaphyx, sclerotherapy and rose procedure. Most people I spoke with,said these procedures didn't work for them. Insurance doesn't pay most times for these either. I am going for a revision from rny to a DS. I'm waiting on insurance approval right now.
mipo1
on 2/9/09 6:25 am - Lowell, MA
My surgeon said that a revision from a RNY to a DS wasn't very easy to do but it doesn't matter anyway for me, in the State of Massachusetts DS surgery isn't done.  I was in a procedure trial called Restore,  it's NOT Stomaphyx or Rose and it did not hold. My surgeon recomends going the Stomaphyx route.  He said it's a different suture material AND a different technique.  The Restore technique doesn't take a deep enough "bite" of the tissue to hold.  I don't know about the Rose procedure.  
RNY2002
on 4/1/09 5:58 am - MA

I had RNY gastric bypass in June 2002.  I lost a total of 207 pounds.  Since then, I have regained 167 pounds!!! 

I had sclerotherapy almost 3 months ago today.   Here's my story:

I had my endo consult back in late November, my first sclero procedure on Jan. 13, my second one on Feb. 25 and going in for a endoscopy (potentially a 3rd treatment) on April 15.  I am doing soooo good!!!  I weigh in weekly and tomorrow is the day.  So far I have lost 34 1/2 pounds!  Woo hoo!!!  Aside from the weight loss though, I am no longer hungry all the time.  Actually, I am no longer hungry at all until it's really time to eat.  I've been eating about 1200 cals. a day; breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner and maybe a low cal snack if I get "head hungry".  The procedure really does work.  You will get your satiety back!  

It has worked really well for me this far.  When I first read about it on these boards I was really discouraged.  People made comments about how it worked for a few weeks and then "that was it".  It's not true.  It does work.  Understand that after a few weeks out of your procedure, your intake will increase.  This is normal.  The Dr. doesn't shrink your pouch.  He injects your stoma with a chemical that closes up the "drain" at the bottom of your pouch.  This is what keeps you fuller longer.  You still have to make good food choices and stick to a plan. 

Hope this info. helps.  I sure could have used this positive feedback when I was looking for it!
Most Active