6 consecutive months of non-surgical weight loss documentation?

dreaminofthin
on 2/6/09 4:28 am - Hillman, MI
Ok, now I'm getting nervous that I may be stumbling onto my first hang up in getting the revision from the band to the DS approved. 

I know for my lap-band to be covered, I had to have 6 consecutive months of documented weight loss efforts.  So, now I have to do that again because it's part of the criteria that must be met.  I was thinking that because I've had the band for the past 20 months - that would be a "form of dieting" - if you will.  Although I haven't been to my doctor each and every month, because I didn't need a fill every month.  Doesn't the fact that I've had the restriction from the band count as a weight loss effort?  Or, do I have to actually have like 6 months of weigh****chers records or something similar, like I did before my band? 

Please give me your advice - soon, if possible.  My orientation is Monday, and I hate to take the whole day off work, if I'm gonna have to wait at least 6 months anyway. 

I was at the doctor for a fill in October, December, and January (missed November).

thanking you all in advance
nurse4lyph
on 2/9/09 9:33 am
Are you sure you need to do that again? I am a revision as well and there is a seperate poliy for revision / repeat bariatric surgery --- you may want to check into that just to be sure!! GOOD LUCK!!
Victory shall be mine -
Virgie Tschirhart
on 2/9/09 10:40 am - Midwest City, OK
RNY on 12/27/17
Yes, I too have a lap band but am considering a revision to a VSG.  That is my question as well, since I have had my lap band since 04-04-08, does that count as a weight loss effort?   I will find out what my doctor's office has to say, my lst appoint ment is next Monday 2-16.  I have BCBS Federal.  What insurance do you have?  I will be sure to let you know what they told me. 

Virgie Tschirhart

Lap Band - 2008, Sleeve - 2009, RYN - 2017

Started Program Weight July 13, 2017 - 194.2

Before Surgery Weight December 27, 2017 - 185.0

Current Weight - February 2018 - 161.0

dreaminofthin
on 2/9/09 10:11 pm - Hillman, MI
Thanks for your replies.  When I called my ins. co. and asked them the criteria for WLS - I did tell them that I already had the Lap-band - she said that I need 6 consecutive months of attempted weight loss SINCE MY BAND.  So, my question is -- doesn't the 20 months of having the band count as "attempted weight loss"?  I don't see how it wouldn't, but I'm not sure how they perceive it.  I have BCBS of Michigan.  I would love to know if anyone else has anymore information.  And, please do let me know what you find out about your BCBS Federal policy requirements.  Good luck to you!
Most Active