lapbad revision, huacuz mexico

aedmund
on 2/4/09 5:05 am
I had a lapband done in 10-2006, by Dr. huacuz, im now seriously considering a revision to a VSG with him, what do you guys think. I need help, i never heard anything bad about him when I had my Lapband and i ha a good experience with him and his staff, but it seems there is a lot of negative stuff now. Please help ((scared!!!))
JRinAZ
on 2/5/09 12:26 am - Layton, UT

My opinion is that if your "gut" is scared then you should listen.....If you've heard negative then you can take it with a huge grain of salt and do tons of research or you can totally believe it and still do more research.  So, I guess, what I"m saying is that there's never TOO much research!....Is there another surgeon performing the VSG that you've heard fab things about?  Maybe you should attend a few more appointments?  Surgeon Seminars?  Chatter on the lapband site to see who they recommend?

AND...be sure that the VSG is exactly what you want.  Will it take care of you for a lifetime or is a revision to DS or Rny a more aggressive, better option with better long term stats?

Good luck!  I didn't really give you any guidance but just wanted you to know that someone out here answered your post and hope all goes well for you!

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

charleston-mom
on 2/5/09 1:54 am
I'm a revision from lapband to RNY.

Please be aware revision is MUCH more dangerous than an original lapband surgery. My revision took almost 8 hours and was very technically complex. I would trust your gut. Wait and try to find someone here, where you'll get good aftercare. I have not heard good things about his technical expertise. While I realize lapband is pretty easy, a revision is a whole different story. Please be careful.
aedmund
on 2/5/09 2:01 am
Did you go from LB to VSG? If not do you know if that one is also difficult? I feel like I'm stuck, I have to stand to eat and the band has never worked for me, so I have to do something, he is willing to do it for a great price, and being poor and everything!! I just don't know what to do, I'm so unhappy. : (
Redhaired
on 2/5/09 2:17 am - Mouseville, FL
Have you looked into Dr. Ungston.  He is also in Mexico and has a stellar reputation.  But I have to wonder if one purely restrictive procedure did not work for you -- why you think another restriction only procedure would work.

Red

aedmund
on 2/5/09 2:31 am
ive never had any restriction, i just have to stand to eat.
Lisey
on 2/5/09 3:09 am - Milwaukee suburb, WI
The VSG alone or as the first half of the DS is difficult from the band because the band creates a lot of scar tissue around the upper portion of the stomach.  I'm sure you know that the sleeve cuts away the outer portion of the stomach, on the right-hand side.  Due to the vertical cut of the sleeve, the doctor has to cut through the scar tissue on the right upper portion of the stomach where the band was, which can be quite difficult.

I would hang out on both RNY boards & DS boards, post questions with pros & cons.  Even just lurking around on both, you'll get answers to questions you didn't know you had!  That was my experience at least.  Quite honestly, I'm completely convinced that the DS rocks the house, but I'm suggesting hanging out on both forums so you can get all the info & make your own choice.  One word of caution is to only rely on a surgeon's knowledge of the DS if he actually performs it.  Not just being trained in it, but never actually performs it b/c then he doesn't have all the patient's experiences & feedback to give you valid information.  There are a number of surgeons who don't do the DS who say things that are completely not supported by any of the many, many people on the DS forum & it's also not supported by research.  Hence, the warning to get unbiased information.  The only reason I can think as to why a doctor, who is supposed to act ethically!, would do this is because if a patient decides they like the DS & want that, well, he won't be getting your $$.  

Go to a surgeon who specializes in revisions who has the experience & versatility to convert you to either RNY or DS & then ask your questions of that doctor.

Good luck to you!

HW / SW / CW / GW      299 / 287160 / 140     Feb '09 / Mar '09 / Dec '13 /Aug '10          

Appendicitis/Bowel Obstruction Surgery 8/21/10
Beat Hodgkin's Lymphoma!  7/15/2011 - 1/26/2012 

Ran Half-Marathon 10/14/2012

First Pregnancy, Due 8/12/14                             I LOVE MY DS!!!

Ms Shell
on 2/5/09 3:19 am - Hawthorne, CA
There are quite a few revisions from LapBands to VSG over on the VSG forum that may not check over hear to post.  What I know from reading their experiences that no matter WHICH surgery you turn to after a LapBand there will be scar tissues and that increases your surgery time and complication rate.  Some people have had to have their LapBand removed and then their VSG a few months down the line.

Please make sure your surgeon has TONS of experience in revision surgeries as they are more difficult.

Can I ask why you never had restriction?  Why do you have to stand to eat?  Is it because of the placement of your band by Dr. Huacuz?  You might want to take into consideration that before you put your faith in him to revise you with minimal complications.  I know the price sounds right, but a complication can end your life and or cost you way more in the long run.

Good luck.

Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

Ocean M.
on 2/5/09 4:04 am - North Hollywood, CA
I can't tell you strongly enough how far you should stay away from Huacuz.

The man is NOT qualified to do revisions, and has no business doing VSG's or DS's. There have been countless numbers of people who go to him thinking they are going to save a little cash instead of going to Ungson, and then they never come home.. or they come home not whole. This has also happened to LapBand patients, and they don't die from PE's they die from leaks and nicked bowels and horrible infections and massive internal bleeding. I have known only a small number of people have done even remotely well with his work, and the numbers of horror stories just keep going up.

Revisions are tough, even from a Band. I can think of at least 8 people off the top of my head who had Band to DS revisions (which requires a VSG to do), who had massive scarring of their stomaches due to Bands which made their revisions difficult. If you are going to have a revision (which I think is a wonderful choice), then do yourself a favor and consult someone with a LOT of revision experience, especially with your specific procedures.

Not sure how much you have to lose, but you may want to consider a full DS, so you don't get 1 or 2 years out from a VSG and find out you really should've had the Switch, too. Whatever your choice, I'm sure you'll do well, but please Please PLEASE do you and everyone who cares about you a favor and STAY AWAY from that man!!!
HW 467 (82.7) / SW 345 (61.1) / CW 224 (39.6) / GW 150 (26.5)  - last weigh in on 09/29/2009 - 121 pounds lost since surgery / 243 pounds lost from highest weight - Never settle. Period. Whatever it is, it's worth fighting for.
Proud angel (and friend) to Cubankitten9, Leslie,Yeaokaybye, RussH. and Chere * Thank you Sandy (SaMaRo) for being my angel and my friend
aedmund
on 2/5/09 4:15 am
OMG, can you tell where I can read about this?? He killed people? He did my band the first time, maybe it's his fault it doesnt work...
Most Active