Revision Doctor needed in Florida

Regina Ping
on 2/3/09 5:28 am - Vero Beach, FL
I am searching for a doctor in Florida (Treasure Coast) that can be recommended for a revision.  I had lap RNY in November 2006 and after consulting with a few others it may be in my best interest to get a surgeon's opinion about a revision from RNY to DS.  I am in Vero Beach, which is about 1.5 hours southeast of Orlando.  Just thought I would ask on here for those who have already done a revision.  Thanks for any information you can give me.  Any other information pertaining to a revision would be appreciated as well.
Kathy H.
on 2/8/09 7:27 am - Kent, WA
This is a post I found on the DS board several weeks ago.

It's not very easy to read (not incredibly organized), but the information is there, anyway. Please note that this list shows Michel Gagner as practicing in Miami, and he currently IS. However, I 've heard that he's moving his practice back to NY as of March 1. I haven't heard this directly from his office, but it was in a post several days ago from someone who *had* heard directly from his office.

So that information may be out of date. But browse away ...

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/3808137/List-of-DS-Surgeons-Performing-Not-Performing-Revisions/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you considered the Duodenal Switch? Information is power.

Regina Ping
on 2/9/09 7:41 am - Vero Beach, FL
Thanks Kathy for the info.  I will check it out.  It's hard to find a doctor that will operate on someone else's patient.  Maybe I haven't done enough homework to find one.  I had the RNY in November of 2006 and have never gotten to my goal weight along with iron absorbing problems.  The research that I have done has led me to believe a revision DS would probably get me to my goal weight and help relieve the iron issues.  My problem is finding a doctor that will do what I need done in Florida.  Some of them say they will do a revision but is that what I am really asking them to do?  What do I need to be looking for in a surgeon that will do a revision DS and have success with it?  I wish I had done this one in the first place but I was only given a choice between Lap Band or RNY and at the time of my having diabetes I felt that the RNY was the best choice for me.  Now I see that the DS would have been an even better choice.  Any info you can give me would be appreciated. 
Regina
Regina Ping
on 2/9/09 7:42 am - Vero Beach, FL
Forgot.....
I have found doctors in Ocala (Overcash & Hoddinott), Wellington (Simon), Ft. Lauderdale that say they do the DS but maybe I'm not asking them the right questions.  Please help!

Regina  :)
Kathy H.
on 2/9/09 9:37 am - Kent, WA
Hi, Regina!

Please cut and paste this onto the DS board. There are people there that are much more qualified to answer your questions than  I am. I've not yet had the surgery. I CAN tell you one thing, though.....

An RNY to DS revision is tricky. There are probably only 100 true DS surgeons in the US, and only a handful of them are qualified to do revisions. Most people travel out of town or out of state to have their revision performed by somenoe who has TONS of experience in both the DS **and** revisions. An example.... I live in Seattle, and will be traveling to Miami for Dr Gagner to revise my VBG to a DS (or perhaps NY... wherever he is at the time).

I've never heard of the doctors you name, and would not trust my revision to them. You need someone who has performed enough revisions that they can roll with whatever scar tissue and whatnot you can throw at them. Interesting statistic: a "virgin tummy" has a 3% chance of ending up with a leak ... a revision, 30-35%. Moral of that story.... Choose your surgeon carefully.

If you were to C&P all three of your notes, here, onto the DS board with a subject line of "Looking into an RNY to DS revision - please help!" you'll get a bunch of responses from folks that are more knowledgable than I am about the surgeons. They're a VERY well-informed group of people.

An added bonus - you'll find several folks who are RNY to DS revisions that are regular posters!

A word of warning... if you were to ask your surgeon about a revision, you will likely end up with an ERNY (extended RNY) - which is simply adjusting your intestines so you absorb less. For my money, I'd rather travel and end up with a DS. But of course, it's a personal decision.

Good luck, Regina... let me know if I can be of any help.

Kathy

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you considered the Duodenal Switch? Information is power.

Regina Ping
on 2/9/09 9:48 am - Vero Beach, FL
Thanks Kathy you have been very helpful.  I will be posting my info on the other message board ASAP.  Thanks again, Regina
Most Active