Revision after Mexico Lap-Band??

Keeshia22
on 2/2/09 7:03 pm - Fort Lauderdale, FL
Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone who had their lap-band done in Mexico had a revision? I'm a potential Lap-bandster and a little worried that the band may not work for me. So just wanted to get other people exeriences with a fail MEXICO lap-band or problems.
"Your body is the baggage you must carry through life. The more excess the baggage, the shorter the trip." ~Keesh                
PekinSal
on 2/2/09 7:35 pm - UK
I dont think it matters where you have it put in - more important is whether the band is right for you in the first place, and how good your surgeon is.

Is there a particular reason you think it might not work? This might be something to discuss with a surgeon who does all the surgeries and can help you choose.

DS revision from failed lapband

fortworthgal
on 2/3/09 2:40 am - Fort Worth , TX
I got my band in Mexico in 2004. Between the surgery and fills, I probably spent around $15,000. In Aug 2008 I found a good local doctor to do my revision and my insurance covered my revision from lap band to RNY. I am so glad to be rid of the band. I have been doing much better with the RNY.

I went from lap band to RNY on Aug 1 2008.

SW    CW  GW
5'2"     205/133/ ?

Band2RNY
on 2/3/09 1:03 pm
I agree w/ the other poster.  Your success with the band doesn't depend on  "where" you had the surgery.   However, getting fills can be a nightmare if you are a Mexico-banded patient as many American docs won't touch you with a 10 foot pole.  That happened to me.  My surgeon was and still is one of the most recognized and respected Lap-Band surgeons in the world.  At the time, (and I still think he does) he was an instructor for American docs learning the banding procedure.   However, I still ended up having every complication associated w/ the band other than erosion. I wasn't anyone's fault.  Band failure and complications are common and as some bansters are reaching 8+ years out, research is highly suggesting that this is not a permanent weight loss solution and the band may need to be removed in almost all patients at some point.   You can read the details of my banding ordeal on my profile.

Now, I'm waiting for an answer for my surgeon's revision request.  It looks like they are going to deny me.  I have already written my appeal letter and prepared to get an attorney if I have to. 

I now see a doc at Cedars Sinai in L.A.  I was lucky he would see me....but then again, I have BCBS PPO.  I was referred to him after a trip to the E.R. with pain from my hernia incision site.  When I told them I had Band surgery several years ago, they automatically referred me to the bariatric center where I started getting my fills.  Prior to that I had been treking to Mexico for 3 years for a total of about 30 fills.  

You know that everyone is different and the band is very unpredictable.  You will read alot about it working one day and feels like it's gone the next .....or bandsters not being able to eat anything before 2 or 3pm, but can eat a horse after that.  No one knows why this happens.

Do your homework.

Best of luck.

Preop 267/Post Band 167/ Now 245 Awaiting Approval for Revision 2 RNY

Keeshia22
on 2/3/09 8:15 pm - Fort Lauderdale, FL
Thank You everyone for your comments....I will just like to wish you all Continue success with your WLS.
"Your body is the baggage you must carry through life. The more excess the baggage, the shorter the trip." ~Keesh                
(deactivated member)
on 2/6/09 2:01 am - AZ
On February 3, 2009 at 3:03 AM Pacific Time, Keeshia22 wrote:
Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone who had their lap-band done in Mexico had a revision? I'm a potential Lap-bandster and a little worried that the band may not work for me. So just wanted to get other people exeriences with a fail MEXICO lap-band or problems.

I had my band in MX but it wasn't because of MX that I revised to a sleeve.  Bands in general just don't work long term.  It's more of a short term method to lose about half your excess weight from what I have seen posting on band boards for 2.5 years.

I had a revision to a sleeve in MX and I love being sleeved.

Most Active