weight gain in last three months

mystic0619
on 1/30/09 2:21 pm - Moran, KS
I had my surgery almost 5 years ago and withing the last three months i have gained 30 pounds had some really bad abominable  pain that lasted only for a few days so thought  it was flu.  But i have maintained the initial weight for 4 1/2 years Now i am hungry all the time and i can eat alot more than used to.  I can eat a regular size steak with no problems. That shouldn't be possible. Any suggestions? I really need some help with this. Do I see my regular doctor? or do I need to find a surgeon? (My surgeon does not live here anymore) However there are still some surgeons up there in the same office where he was that do this surgery.  Who do I talk to ?  Did I stretch out ? I had RNY in April 2004.
stina1979
on 1/30/09 8:24 pm - OH
Oh dear, your post has been left by many - myself included...  I had my RNY in 2001 and was at goal after 14 months.  Then five years later I got pregnant (gained a lot ), ever since then I have continued to gain and am almost back to where I started before my RNY.  I started the process over a year ago - posting on these boards, researching and then visiting some surgeons.  My surgeon initially wanted to perform a stomaphyx on me (he wanted to take the most minimally invasive approach), after reading more I found that stomaphyx was a big joke and had NO good long term results.  In the past several months I have decided to convert my Old RNY to a DS (Duodenal Switch)  I found a skilled surgeon and have an appt. with him this coming Tuesday.  Please come visit the DS boards and take a gander.  Feel free to ask me anything. 

P.S. Please do not feel alone - the RNY has FAILED SO MANY OTHERS...

Best of Luck,

Kristina
Kristina
(deactivated member)
on 1/31/09 8:42 am - TX
1.  you need to obtain a copy of your operative report

2.  you need to get an upper GI

3.  you need to get an endoscopy

4.  you need to research your options for revision and find a surgeon and take him those papers once you have your consult.
(deactivated member)
on 2/1/09 5:40 am
YEP- the things listed above are totally correct.  I am in the same boat as you, only more than 30 pounds.  I have had my Endoscopy, waiting on my original records in the mail, have my Upper GI scheduled for 2/11 and then after that will make the appt for the surgeon... The process sucks, but I'm so impatient. Keep us updated on your progress as lots of us are at the same stage you are.
kat8
on 2/1/09 10:10 pm
HI,I AM  HAVING THE SAME  ISSUES AND LOTS OF HEALTH  ISSUES. I HAD THE RNY IN 2003.I REALLY STARTED PUTTING ON WHEN MY THYROID BECAME TOO LOW! I HAVE BAD INSOMIA, NEVER HAD IT BEFORE SURGERY,I HAVE OSTEOARTHITIS EVERYWHERE AND FIBROMAGLIA, NEVER BEFORE. I WENT FOR MY MONTHLY CHECKUP AND VITIMANS FOR 4 YRS AND THEY KNEW I WAS GAINING WEIGHT,SAID I WAS NOT EXERCISING ENOUHT AND NOT FOLLOWING MY DIET! I THOUGHT WITH THE SURGERY,I COULD NOT EAT VERY MUCH. I DON'T KNOW WHAT MY TOOL IS ANYMORE? I HAVE GAINED BACK 50 PDS AND CLIMBING AND AS FAR AS EXERCISE, I DO WHAT MY BODY WILL ALLOW. i AM STILL GLAD THAT I HAD THE SURGERY,I HAD 14 PDS OF SKIN REMOVEDFROM MY TUMMY IN 2004 AND HAD A BREAST REDUCTION IN 2005  Kat8
Most Active