Failed lapband- difficult for revision approval?

(deactivated member)
on 1/30/09 2:28 am - OXNARD, CA
I have BCBS of California. I was denied my first referral for a revision from lapband. I've summoned the assistance of Obesity Law & Advocacy center to have this denial overturned. The appeal was sent over to the insurance just last week. I'm feeling nervous. I'm trying to be positive but I just have a bad feeling about it.

I had GI endoscopy like 3 weeks ago and went in for the results of the biopsy today. Doctor says everything looks normal, nothing seems to be wrong with the band, as far as he can tell.

So my question is, has anyone had a revision from a lapband when nothing has been wrong with the band, like slippage or scar tissuefor example? Or has it been your experience only "broken" bands are approved for revisions?                   

Thanks for reading!
-Sandra
PekinSal
on 1/30/09 5:15 am - UK
My question for them would be 'If it isn't broken, why isn't it working? Why aren't I losing weight then?'

There was nothing technically wrong with mine, it just didn't do much that was useful.

DS revision from failed lapband

pq76
on 1/30/09 7:02 am - CORONA, CA
Hello,

I was wondering if you get approved(hope you do) what surgery are you thinking of getting?
qhorsegal
on 1/31/09 1:03 am - KY
I to have been let down with the band. I had surgery on Oct. 2, 08 and I have lost 15 pounds. I have had 5 fills to date and 1 unfill. I am going Weds. for the metabolic test and see what it reads. I am really sad that I have not lost much weight at all. I opted for Lap Band thinking slow would be okay since I am 44 I didn't want loose skin..haha, no chance of that happening.
Hondurian Queen
on 1/31/09 8:59 am - BOSTON, MA
HELLO I HAD A REVISION HAD EVERYTHING  DONE JUST AS YOU HAD THEY FOUND NOTHING WRONG WITH MY BAND BUT I STILL WAS APPROVED FOR A REVISION TO THE RNY DONT GIVE UP GIRL AND GOOD LUCK IT ALL WILL WORK OUT IF YOU THINK POSITIVE SO IT SHALL BE

cuppyb
on 1/31/09 9:01 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Revision on 05/20/15 with
BCBS covered my revision; however, before putting in for approval my doctor's office had me go through all the tests and everything all over again plus a few additional ones specifically looking at the band.  When they faxed over my request for approval they had over 60 pages of documentation showing my results and a year long history of issues with the band - I had been banded 2 yrs before deciding to do a revision.

Good luck, let us know how you make out. 

Anyone who says sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain.- Author unknown

(deactivated member)
on 1/31/09 11:44 pm - OXNARD, CA

Thank you all *****sponded. I will keep praying that I get approved. I don't mind having to go through tests, I'm so used to needles, drinking nasty things, and getting hooked up to machines anyway.  If all goes well, I've decided to get the DS, whic his what I should have done since the beginning. I've just wasted 5 years with this band, but at the time it seemed right. I guess things happen for a reason. I'll definitely keep you guys posted.

-Sandra

Most Active