want the good news or bad news first?

dreaminofthin
on 1/28/09 11:28 pm - Hillman, MI
Well, I had a depressing night last night.  I cleaned out my closet.  I had to pack away the too-small clothes to make room for the fit-just-right clothes (size 24).  Never in a million years did I dream I would be wearing a size 24 - my clothes now resemble a tent!  How sad is that.  I am trying to stay hopeful that I'll be able to dig some of those clothes back out by the end of this year.

The good news is, this morning I called and got the procedure code for the revision to the DS.  I called my insurance (BCBS PPO) to check on the coverage - and...*drum roll, please*
IT'S A PAYABLE PROCEDURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I am soooo freakin excited.  I go for the surgery orientation on 2/9, and before making the 5 hour trip (one way) - I wanted to make sure it was going to be a covered benefit on my policy.  Yeahhhhh!

Thanks for letting me vent and brag.
Virgie Tschirhart
on 1/29/09 1:41 am - Midwest City, OK
RNY on 12/27/17
Well I'm just happy for your good news.  You Go Girl!!!  I guess you decided to get the DS done.  I think the last time you and I spoke you were thinking about the RNY.    Who is your DS surgeon and where is he?  I'm still trying to get a doctor and I'm trying to see if BCBS PPO will approve me, since I had the lap band done in April 08.  Talk to you later. 

Virgie Tschirhart

Lap Band - 2008, Sleeve - 2009, RYN - 2017

Started Program Weight July 13, 2017 - 194.2

Before Surgery Weight December 27, 2017 - 185.0

Current Weight - February 2018 - 161.0

dreaminofthin
on 1/29/09 2:22 am - Hillman, MI
I'm still not 100% positive about the DS, though I'm really leaning that way right now.  I'm anxious to go thru the orientation and find out more.  My mind could still be changed, time will tell. 

The surgeons that I have the orientation scheduled with is the Grand Health Partners in Grand Rapids, MI.  I found them thru some of these forums, but have never met any of them.  They're about 4 1/2-5 hours one way from where I live in northern MI, but, I want to go to someone who has done the revisions before.  And I understand that there aren't many surgeons in MI that have done the revisions to DS - so the choices aren't many. 

As far as BCBS PPO - I lucked out because I actually have a different, better policy than the BCBS PPO that I had when I got the lap band.  But, I don't know if that would have made any difference as far as being covered for the DS following lap band.  I also don't know if there are time restraints in between the surgeries.  I've heard that some insurances have a policy that you're only allowed 1 bariatric surgery per lifetime.  Thank the Lord that isn't my case - and I hope not yours, either. 

I hope everything works out for you, and for me.  What a rough road and tough decision we're faced with.  Keep in touch!
Most Active