I am doing great! 2 weeks since sclerotherapy

Brenda D.
on 5/19/09 3:56 am - Hampden, ME
I have an initial consultation with Dr. Christopher Thompson at Brigham & Womans Hospital in Boston, MA.  I just talked to a person in his office and he does Sclerotherapy , ROSE, and Endosinch (spelling) procedures.  He doesn't do the Stomaphyx.  He seems to be having much better results with the Sclerotherpy procedure plus it is much cheaper.  The person I was talking with (Michele) is sending me links to papers written in 2007 of the injection procedure so it has been around that long.  You don't have to be put out and home the same day.  I am really looking forward to meeting with him and deciding which is best for me.  I would really like to hear how people are doing who have had the Sclerotherapy procedure a few months to a year ago.  How many injections have you had to have?  How much weight have you lost after going off the liquids?  Thanks for any info you can give us. 

zedd1027
on 6/12/09 7:06 am
Hello ,
How long out did you get an appointment...I just made an appt with another Dr. at Brighams Dr. Lautz and its not until Nov....did you get somthing sooner
smfsod
on 10/11/09 7:31 am
I made my initial appointment with Dr. Thompson in May - was given a September date.  At the September appointment, they scheduled the next one for 12 weeks later.
cmoore14
on 6/24/09 2:36 am
Help.  I like you had the WLS in 2001 from 327 down to 165.  Best ever.  Then I got pregnant.  Kept the weight off for at least 5 years.  Started gaining a little by little until I've gained about 55.  HATED the way I felt.  Looked into options and like you I had the sclerotherapy with Dr. Thompson. I had it one week ago. I've lost about 4 pounds but I am starving!  I don't think I got enough scarring and have started to not get very discouraged and am eating a bit of solid food.  Rice cakes, a piece of crust on bread.  Not a meal or anything but still and I'm not feeling ill while doing it.   I'm finding it's more of a challenge than the initial WLS where you CAN'T eat and DON'T want to either.  Were you really hungry?  Any recommendations?  I'm getting discouraged as to how hungry I am. I drink a carnation instant breakfast with no sugar in the am.. then a couple of hours later the Atkins shake (they are really expensive), then later than that I will drink Crystal Light. Found a fantastic new Crystal light for "hunger satisfaction" best one I've ever tasted.  30 calories and it's strawberry banana!  Anyway I need some guidance.  Did you feel like that?  I bet I could really "eat" if I put my guard down and I do NOT want to do that.  I refuse to get like I was before the WLS.   How did you feel?
Brenda D.
on 7/1/09 11:46 am - Hampden, ME
I met with Dr. Thompson on Monday, 6/30/09.  I waited about a month to have my appt.  They are booking the sclerotherapy procedures into October but hope to open up more time before then.  I live in Maine and traveled to Boston to see him.  I am hoping this procedure will give me back the restriction that I absolutely need to succeed.  I had the RNY procedure in 1997 with a starting weight of 315.  I lost 114 lbs. and after 3 years slowly started to put weight back on.  I have gained 80 lbs. back.  I really think the RNY saved me from hitting the 400 lb. mark though so I am very thankful for that.  I get hungry every few hours and with no will power I can't control it myself.  I need the restriction.  My endoscopy shows a small pouch with a stretched anastomosis.  So this procedure would be perfect for me.  Dr. Thompson did say what you have all been saying....sometimes 2 or 3 injections before you get your desired restriction.  He does it in small increments because to much restriction would not be a good thing.  Everybody is different so the results are different. 

RNY2002....and all who have had the procedure....please keep posting and let us know how you are doing.  We are all very interested in your results.  These postings are very beneficial to all of us.
Thanks so much for your posts.
smfsod
on 10/11/09 7:25 am
I had my 1st sclerotherapy Sept. 15th.  I stuck with the liquid for 2 weeks, even though I was hungry.
Have you noticed that you are given the exact same diet for the swclerotherapy as for the original gastric bypass?  Anyway, I've been feeling full quickly one month later, and wonder if the scarring continues to build, or what?  My second procedure is on December 23rd. 
cmoore14
on 7/1/09 11:50 pm
I lost 11 pounds in two weeks BUT I have no restriction really.  I need another procedure DEFINITELY.  I think at least 2 possibly 3 will give us what we are looking for. It's really tough not eating at the beginning so you should try and cut down a little before the procedure instead of like me ate because I "wouldn't be able to eat again".  You can contact me if you need further info.
virginia O.
on 7/2/09 5:42 am - haverhill, MA
I am going in on Monday July 6th for sclerotherapy.   I am hoping it will work for me.  My pouch is not enlarged, just the stoma.  All of you who had it ......I hope you are doing well.   Feel free to give me the good and bad news from it.   I really want this to work for me!   Ginny

Tink365
on 7/27/15 11:31 am

Hello.  I am scheduled for this procedure next week on the 6th.  My pouch is in good shape not enlarged now after a revision last September.  The stoma is stretched out.  Can you tell me how you are doing now?  I don't know what to expect after in terms of recovery. Also, what diet did you follow after?  I would appreciate any information you can give. 

apr79yl
on 7/7/09 2:39 am - MA

Hi RNY2002,

I was hoping you could help me with some information. I too had gastric bypass with Dr. Randall. I had my surgery on 1/2/2002.  Initially within the first 8-9 months I lost 130 lbs then for the next 9 months i slowly loss an additional 40 lbs. It's been 7 years post op and now with almost 3 1/2 - 4 years I have gained back about 50 lbs and constantly feel hungry.

I had been considering a revision for quite some time but was unsure if this was somethign that could be done and then I read this.

Did  you think I should make an appointment with Dr. Randall's office first? Or do I go ahead and make an appointment with Dr. Thompson's office in Boston?

Most Active