I am doing great! 2 weeks since sclerotherapy

RNY2002
on 1/28/09 2:11 am - MA

Just wanted to give you all an update and some words of encouragement.  I had sclerotherapy on January 13, 2009 and I am doing so great!  I feel wonderful, I have good restriction and I've lost 22 lbs. so far!!  Yep!  22 lbs. in 2 weeks. 

My second sclerotherapy procedure/endoscopy is scheduled for Feb. 25, 2009.  The first procedure brought my stoma down from 20 mm. to 9 mm.  However, the Dr. said that my stoma probably went back to about 14 mm. once the swelling subsided.  Either way, I feel great and look forward to getting back down there again!

Debbie M.
on 1/28/09 2:26 am
That sounds really encouraging.  I also had an RNY in 2002 and have regained a substantial amount of weight.  How much do you have to lose?
Also was the procedure covered by insurance.
Thanks,
Debbie

SW 358/CW 201/Goal - anything below 160
Angel to TEAZ (Michelle)

RNY2002
on 1/28/09 2:38 am - MA
Here's my story.

I had open RNY in June 2002.  I weighed 380 lbs.!  Within 13 months of surgery, I lost 207 lbs.  The weight stayed of (I regained the normal five or ten pounds over a three year period). Not long after 3 years out I started to regain steadily.  My volume of food increased and I was always hungry.  I felt there was no hope for me and I was too embarrassed to go back to my bariatric surgeon.  Finally, I sucked it up and went to see him last year.  I regained 160 lbs.  YIKES.  He suggest I visit Dr. Thompson in Boston. 

I made an appt. and waited almost a year to see him.  The rest is history.  :)

The procedure is very inexpensive, non-invasive and covered by all insurances. 
Debbie M.
on 1/28/09 2:48 am

I can't believe how similar our stories are - I had mine lap - went from 345 to 167 and now I'm 320. Makes me sick.  How do you find a doctor that handles that procedure?  Is the expectation that you will lost all your excess weight with it?  Is it something they constantly monitor and redo if necessary?

SW 358/CW 201/Goal - anything below 160
Angel to TEAZ (Michelle)

RNY2002
on 1/28/09 3:06 am - MA
What part of the state do you live?  I don't think many Drs. are experienced with this procedure. 

I will be constantly monitored via endoscopy.  Dr. said most patients need an average of two procedures.  They are done via endoscopy under light sedation in less than 20 min.!  The drug they inject into the stoma is a scarring agent.  The drug causes scar tissue around the stoma which in turn makes the opening smaller and holds food in the stomach longer. 

Hope this info. helps. you.
505dardar
on 1/28/09 3:28 am - albuquerque, NM
Deb,  I see we are on the same path.  Let me know what you find out and I'll do the same.
mipo1
on 2/9/09 6:32 am - Lowell, MA
Do you mean the Sclerotherapy is covered ?
neckofthewoods
on 5/22/09 4:42 am - Seattle, WA

I am 8 years post op RNY and have the identical (down to the numbers) scenario as RNY2002
I finally got insurance again and despeartely returned to my RNY surgeon who has referred me for a consult with a doctor who does Sclerotherapy (sp)?
I also was reminded about the RULES and drinking water etc...after waiting ONE HOUR after meals. This alone is getting me back on track.
I share in teh desperation of those whos weight relentlessly creeps back on as we forget and error as far as program technique and "rules" for the pouch.

I am eager to hear more about and maybe follow your progress we could compare notes as we restore our bodies?
Jennifer R in Seattle
[email protected]
THANK YOU AND GOOD LUCK!

sunshine04
on 11/29/09 10:55 pm
How are you doing now?  Similar store as you and scheduled to have endoscopic schlerotherapy this wed with dr. thompson in boston.  how many procedures did you have?  what kind of liquid diet is necessary after the procedure?

thanks!
hyenk3
on 10/14/10 11:59 pm - Hfd, CT
RNY on 11/11/02 with
Good morning.  Your story is eerily similar.  Odd.  Even the numbers are about the same... 

I had RNY in 11/2002 and started at around 343lbs.  I lost a HUGE amount of weight and got down to 129 lbs.  I held onto that for a bit and bounced back up to about 140 for a while.  Then, like yourself, my weight started going out of control.  Now, I'm at about 207 and was equally embarassed to go see my bariatric doctor but did.  He suggested - Dr. Thompson - what a surprise.  So - next month, I'm having sclerotherapy and was hopeful that this would get me on track.  I am VERY IMPRESSED with your resolve and success.  May I ask, where are things for you now?  Do you have any input (positive or negative) with regard to the procedure and the outcome? 

Thank you for sharing your story for folks like me.  I've been away from the site for like 5+ years and am so disappointed that I need revision surgery but am trying to be mindful that it was not I that failed... 

Looking forward to hearing back from you.  If you'd like to send a response to me off the site, my e-mail is [email protected]

AK
Most Active