Totally lost. RNY never worked. What do you do next?

newman09
on 1/31/09 6:58 am
I agree.  There is no need for vulgar language we are all adults.  People grow up.

LosingSally
on 1/31/09 12:26 pm, edited 1/31/09 12:28 pm
This is in reply to JRinAZ, but ended up out of place.
You have your own experiences to call on, and should feel free to post them.
Nobody's experiences are " typical" because we are all different, there are many surgeons who do different common channel cm's, and because we have whatever baggage we brought with us to this point.
There are people who do very well with any surgery, and have no bad side-effects and there are those who have some or even have every  possible ill-effect! Your story is as valuable as anyone else's. Nobody has to validate your experiences for them to be true, or to be helpful.
I have an Extended RNY, not as a revision but as my first and only weight loss surgery. I have a 200cm common channel, and have to say my experience has been very different from yours, possibly due to the longer cc. 
I agree that , if someone has issues with diarrhea before having a surgery that includes a short cc, such a person should discover why she is having the problem if possible , and try to determine if the surgery might increase the bowel problems.
I applaud you, and hope you continue to give people the benefit of your own story.

JRinAZ
on 2/1/09 6:03 am - Layton, UT
Thanks Losing Sally!
I generally plant my feet when challenged. ..... I'll share my experiences because others may learn a thing or 2 OR.....maybe they'll help me learn a thing or 2!  LOL!  I am definitely not perfect but dang if I'm not getting close to "looking perfect"!  JUST KIDDING!!!!  If only quality of life were based on appearances alone, right?  Some of us have 50 plus BMI's without even one co-morbid while some of us have BMI's below 20 and don't feel super duper!  .... I am feeling a ton better though and will update my profile in a couple of weeks.  In fact I put on a HUGE WLS event yesterday and have several more ahead.  The energy level is definitely on the rise!!!

Glad you're making your distal work well for you!  I may someday decide to get mine lengthened but I was seriously wanting my NEXT surgery to be more plastics and not Weight Loss related!

Take Care!  So nice of you to "speak up"

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Nicolle
on 1/30/09 8:28 am
Oh dear! No wonder she is so angry! I'd think she'd put the blame where it lies--the ERNY, which is absolutely NOT like a DS at all!

Nicolle

I had the kick-butt duodenal switch (DS)!

HW: 344 lbs      CW: 150 lbs

Type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea GONE!

Maria C.
on 1/30/09 1:08 pm - KY
This is a myth - no, a downright LIE - that doctors who do not perform the DS tell their potential customers - er, PATIENTS - so they'll get the RNY instead of the DS.  You do not know what you are talking about.

HW 246    SW 243     CW - below goal    GW 139     Height 5'3"
MsBatt
on 2/2/09 1:17 am
On January 27, 2009 at 7:21 AM Pacific Time, JRinAZ wrote:
Lorie2,
Please do a TON of research on DS.  If you are in the bathroom a lot now with just an Rny; then you could very "possibly" be parked there with a DS!  Results vary of course but the one continuem seems to remain:  lots and lots of potty action with an Erny AND a DS.  It tapers for most but.....  would hate anyone to go into a DS (or ANY procedure) without full info.  Study study study!.....  Best wishes on your new journey!  "Healthy" is where it's at!!!
Five years post-DS for me, and I've NEVER had any bathroom issues. Twice every AM, no constipation, no diarrhea. And from reading these boardds for the past five+ years, I'm convinced that's also true for the 'typical' DSer.
Lorie2
on 2/3/09 2:11 am
Thanks for your post. I do have bathroom issues now and not sure what will happen. I want a revision to DS but its been six years and doc in not sure if it will be done because of scarr tissue and other things. If he can't do my surgery to a DS he would do a ERNY. I don't really want that because its not going to fix the issues I have now.  My food goes thru very quickly, my stoma is dialated, lots of potty issues.  I hope that if I can't have the DS for whatever reason, I hope I can still  look for support from DS's. ERNY is not my choice but maybe an option for my wieght gain.
emily3cat
on 1/26/09 11:36 am - NE
Oh my. You do know!

It's sooooo bad in the car. I keep having these moments where I don't know if I will be able to find and get into a bathroom in time.

So, I'm scanning (big irony here) for a fast-food restaurant because gas station restrooms are nasty and you often have to ask for a key.

Then I look longingly at back alleyways, wondering if I should just go native. But I don't want to do that in public. I'm only lucky I have not had an accident in the car or at work, but that has only been by sheer force of will and fear of embarassment.
Kerry J.
on 1/26/09 11:42 am - Santa Clara, UT
 Emily,

Your story isn't all that uncommon, I had gastric bypass back in 1980, lost weight, gained it all back etc. You can read all about it on my profile if you want to read the whole story. I was never happy with how I had to eat with the bypass, but I fought the weight gain and put up with the dumping and inability to eat things I like until last year. After 28 years of fighting the bypass I decided to see what my options were and found this site and eventually discovered the DS (Duodenal Switch). I got a revision to DS last September 17 and have lost 65 pounds eating the kind of foods I've always loved. I have to watch my carbs, but that's all, there's no dumping, I can drink a glass of milk and not get sick, I'll tell you what, I love my DS.

Go to www.dsfacts.com and www.duodenalswitch.com to read all about it and come visit us DSers on the DS board and start asking questions.

Getting the revision to DS was the best thing I've done, waiting so long to get it done was the dumbest.

Kerry
(deactivated member)
on 1/26/09 12:50 pm - Togo

Too many of these doctors have an attitude. they love to blame the patient. but when you had that test done you got the answer and it is in a report. SO ... get that report and put your papers together and then go knocking on doctors doors. you have a real reason to have your rny corrected or revised, whichever. don't cave in at the first 'no' you come up against. just push that doctor aside and keep on hustling.

Go get 'em, tiger. 

Most Active