Can I eat too much??? VBG to RNY 11-12-08

mellow
on 1/26/09 3:42 am
I had the old gastroplasty in 1986 - like everyone else - gained  it all back.  Never had the restriction I needed.  I had RNY in Nov. and I am still on mostly soft foods.  I had complications, leaks, stent, NPO for 1 month - long story.  I am now stent free and I get scared when I don't have that uh-oh restriction.  Don't get me wrong - I put out what I should eat and don't eat anymore - but sometimes I'm still hungry.  That's another thing - my sister had RNY in May '08 and she has done grea t-  no problems, has lost 101 lbs. and is not hungry!  Food doesn't even taste good to her.  Man, I'd like to have that problem! 

I'll give examples of my weird eating:  One day I could only eat 1/2 scrambled egg and 1/2 slice diet toast for breakfast.  Next day I ate 1 egg scrambled with cheese and a whole slice of diet toast.  Today I ate a Nutrisystem micro dinner of Lasagna with meat sauce 18g protein, 260 calories.  I easily ate the whole 8 oz.!!!!  Do any of you have this big swing in eating amounts?  I have been instructed not to exceed 3 total cups of food per day - so from that stand point I am ok.  But my sister is shocked that I can eat that much.

Kinda scared about it.  This is my last WLS - my last chance.  Any thoughts appreciated.

mellow
Sis'ta "T" Bone
on 1/26/09 9:11 am - Miami, FL
I feel your pain -hunger pain that is!  I am 5 wks out and can eat dang-near anything.  Approximately 2-3 hrs later, I'm ready to eat again.  With the band, I could go all day without eating and only experience that I-need-to-eat breath. 

I seem to consume more than the average RNYer and wonder if I'm stretching my new pouch.  I must admit that the weight is coming off - or atleast it seems (trying not o climb on the scale except for dr's appointments).
  My sister and co-worker, boh who had gastric bypass, are amazed at how much I can eat.  I was even able to eat a thin slice of homemade poundcake this weekend without dumping - something I've feared since surgery.  I'm afraid that with so much freedom, I may not reach my goal or worst yet, regain extra weight!
Sis'ta Thick-Bone from Sunny So. FL
Believing that God's intentions are for us to prosper. (I Corr. 2:9)

mellow
on 1/26/09 11:06 am
God bless you Sis'ta!!!  I feel kind of alone out here in this "hungry" world where it seems it's a character flaw to not be satisfied.  Ha ha .  I have about another 50 lbs. I want to lose - just afraid it's not going to be as easy for me (and you) as some of the fortunate ones.   I hope when I get to drier more solid foods I will feel full.  A lot of people on the boards talk about "slider" foods.  Maybe that lasagna I ate was a "slider" since it was so soft and mushy. 

Any way, I'll hang in there and you do the same and maybe, just maybe, we'll reach our goal.

mellow
MsDeniseinPA
on 1/26/09 12:07 pm - PA
how much have you lost since surgery?

I had VBG in 1998 and RNY revision in December. I'm down about 25 lbs.  So it's coming off, just slower than I expected.  I do have days where I can eat more than others. Same as you, one day I get stuffed on 1/2 scrambled egg, where the next day I can eat a whole scrambled egg.
FernTate
on 1/29/09 6:39 am
I know about hunger.  Terrible hunger, worse post-RNY than before.  Really slowing things
down.  But  getting results, very slowly - so all is good.  The long stalls are hard - just coming
off a 6 week stall where I gained a couple pounds.  I am so disappointed about the relentless hunger.  Makes it all so much harder than I'd been told.
Most Active