ANyone have revision from band to bypass?

Michele S.
on 1/25/09 4:38 am
Ok due to Acid Reflux, I amy need to have my band removed.  My surgeon is stil considering other opwions and we are have some tests run to make sure but he suggested I have gastric bypass done at the time of removal.  I have concerns, of course, any surgery has concerns.  I even worried aobut having my wisdom teeth removed.

Let me know if you have had this done, hoe you decided  or any other inforamton that might be useful to make an informed decision. 

I do have a GREAT surgeon and trust him, and as someone else told me he has seen everythig already and know what he is getting into.

Thanks for any inforamtion.

Michele S.
If nothing ever changed, there'd be no butterflies.  ~Author Unknown

411 / 210 / 200
cuppyb
on 1/25/09 9:31 am - Fort Worth, TX
Revision on 05/20/15 with
I was banded in Sept 2006 and did great the first year, then the port had to be moved & replaced, I was unfilled, filled, unfilled, filled and problems began there.  By 18 months I was in band hell. 

Had the band removed & RNY at the same time on 10/28 and have no regrets.  I started discussing the option in April with my doctor and we did all sorts of tests and looked at all surgical options, I originally wanted a sleeve.  After talking with my doctor we decided RNY was the best option for me at this time.  I trust him and his opinion and booked the surgery.

Very happy and knock on wood I have had no issues.  Going for my 3 month follow-up on Feb 8th. 

Anyone who says sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain.- Author unknown

ADRIENNEF
on 1/28/09 2:16 am - Baltimore, MD

Hi Michelle;

I will be having my Band to VGS this Friday. I don't have any advice for you as of now. But for all the things I have heard about the Sleeve or any other WLS it is an personal choice.

I know for me I need MAJOR restrictions!

All the best!

Adrienne

nursinggal
on 1/29/09 3:30 pm - Winston Salem, NC
I am having RNY from a lap-band on Feb 9th. I am so excited at this opportunity! Are you having it done? My approval was so easy. I am looking forward to success this time around!  What types of problems are you having with your band?
Teresa- I am looking forward to leaving my behind, behind me! 
 http://www.tickerfactory.com/weight-loss/w9JKSxn/
MARCIAM
on 1/25/09 1:15 pm - Sayville, NY
Hi Michelle,
I had my band out in August, emergency surgery, due to constant reflux and throwing up.  I had to wait until September for my revision to RNY.  It was the best thing I could have done.  I feel great and I am losing weight!  Please read my profile for more details. Good luck!

Marcia 297/169 so far/140
RNY on 9/22/08
My life is starting over & yours can too!

emjayel56
on 1/25/09 7:13 pm - Boynton Beach,, FL
Hi Michele,
Boy can I relate to your issues.  I am awaiting a revision on my band.  Similar story to you.  Had band put in in 2001.  Lost 100 lbs first few years; 2005 started having isuses needed surgery for hiatel hernia.  Then resumed weight loss.  Past 2 years having reflux, isuses with band being too tight/too loose/too tight/too loose, etc.  Moved to FL, had workup done here and find out that #1 port is leaking and more importantly #2 band has slipped up and instead of being around stomach is around the esophogus which explains all the problems with that reflux etc.

So in FL surgeon #1 wont do anything; surgeon #2 has me scheduled for an RNY Feb 20 which I am very leery of; going to surgeon #3 on Wed who is TOP surgeon in US but he tends to favor RNY I'm told.  Meanwhile my original surgeon in NY who is top band doctor says she can remove and replace band and that I should go back to NY if this surgeon on wed wont do another band.  I'm confused!  Hopefully this week things will unfold and I'll know what's what but as I'm sure you do, want it over asap.

I loved the band when it worked properly.  I guess it just doesn't last forever.

Anyway good luck to you; i guess do your research and have a great doctor that you trust and all will be fine.

Keep me posted.
Maryjo
dreaminofthin
on 1/25/09 10:19 pm - Hillman, MI
I'm glad to see this post today.  I've been banded since May of 2007 - and haven't lost or gained ANY weight since surgery.  It's very depressing and frustrating to have endured WLS and not be successful.  Granted, I have not made perfect choices, have trouble drinking enough water every day, and wasn't exercising regularly until recently.  Needless to say, I am not the poster child for Lap-Band.  Had I realized that the band is not for everyone, and takes the most effort of any WLS, I wouldn't have gotten it in the first place.  I have no willpower, therefore, have trouble putting forth great amounts of effort in the weight loss department.  Thank God I haven't had any of the terrible side effects of the band - reflux,slippage,leak,flipped port, etc.  Just no weight loss. 

My surgeon has agreed to do a revision to a bypass on me (got the word last Thursday).  He wants me to start off with the psych eval again, so I go for that next week.

I'm scared, nervous,excited!  I'm very excited to have renewed hope; however, I'm scared to death because the bypass is so risky.  And, those are the only 2 WLS surgeries he performs.  I've checked into the DS a little, but the surgeons in MI that do the DS are very few and far between.

Please, wish me luck -- and know that I wish the very best for each and every one of you.  This is such a rough road.  If you have any advice, please feel free to share it.

Thanking you,
Stephanie
Michele S.
on 1/26/09 5:30 am
Althogh I have no advice, I will keep you in my prayers!

411 / 210 / 200
charleston-mom
on 1/26/09 3:18 am
I'm a revision from band to bypass. I honestly, as a surgeon's daughter, now feel the band is more dangerous than the bypass. I almost died from my band. I'm healthy now and thin and the bypass is bar none the best thing I ever did for myself.
Michele S.
on 1/26/09 5:31 am
Thanks for the info.  Every little bit helps!!!

411 / 210 / 200
Most Active