Did I really have RNY?

Sis'ta "T" Bone
on 1/25/09 6:56 am - Miami, FL
I'm a little concerned, I had a revision to bypass on Dec. 22 and have been able to eat just about anything.  The only draw back has been more frequent bathroom trips .  I will admit that I really have not follow the post-op diet ( with the exception of the first week).

Both my sister and co-worker (both had RNY) are surprised that I can eat as much and basically anything.  I'm worried if I've stretched my "new" pouch.  However, I am taking my vitamins and the weight is coming off, so has anyone experienced this and/or have advice to give?
Sis'ta Thick-Bone from Sunny So. FL
Believing that God's intentions are for us to prosper. (I Corr. 2:9)

Hondurian Queen
on 1/25/09 8:14 am - BOSTON, MA
MISS LADY CONTINUE TO FOLLOW THE RULES EVEN THOUGH I KNOW IT IS HARD I MYSELF FALL OFF BUT HAVE TO CLIMB  BACK ON BOARD AND BEHAVE MYSELF I WISH YOU THE BEST

ALABAMA
on 1/25/09 8:20 am - STONE MOUNTAIN, GA
you look beautiful...... how much weight have you lost since the revision in june?
kims2mnz
on 1/25/09 8:52 am - KANSAS CITY, MO
me also , I had mine on 12/22/08 and feel like I can eat everything. I hope i didnt stretch it out already. I hope you and I do well.
cuppyb
on 1/25/09 9:25 am - Fort Worth, TX
Revision on 05/20/15 with
I too feel like I can eat way more than I should be able to.  I just keep measuring and counting everything and so far the weight is coming off.  60 pounds since 10/28

Anyone who says sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain.- Author unknown

MamaMary1974
on 1/25/09 10:07 am - Loveland, OH
I had RNY 2/5/01 lost from 455 to 210 quickly. I had back to back pregnancies, was put on a rigorous eating pattern to get enough nutrition for the children, went from 0 hunger level to hungry constantly. I now am 370 recently had an upper gi series and found the reason was an extremely dialated stoma. My food never stays in my stomach it goes straight to my intestine plus when I catch a cold and vomit it comes back up from my intestine which is dangerous and sick. My insurance doesn't seem to grasp the danger and my doctor PCP wants it fixed my original surgeon just sent me a letter he is retiring. I need help. However, my advice to all you beginers is follow doctors orders. Donot drink when you eat this stretches the stoma something I was not told. Keep Moving exersize helped me take the weight of until the pregnancies. Explore new recipes if you always eat the same thing you will get board and donot forget your protein powder or you may lose your hair I know I did breifly.

Hope this helps.
Mary Proud Mama of 2 Boys
lollie0107
on 4/27/09 4:56 am - Louisville, KY

I had my surgery in 97 and I too had two back to back pregnancies and have regained.  Original weight 386 down to 210 and know @ 325.  I have an appointment tomorrow to see about getting a revision.  I have been down this road before in 2006 and again n 2007 so hopefully tomorrow is it.  I was told by the two previous DR that my stoma was enlarged but neither wanted two rivise now I' m even larger and it keeps going up.  I seen this ROSE procedure but those who've had it says they lost about 25 lbs and stopped so I'll discuss this with him tomorrow and let him know my concern, but I too wonder what would be my best choice for revision.

LosingSally
on 1/26/09 10:10 pm
When one first has RNY, the pouch is pretty much numb, due to cutting and stitching back. So you usually can't feel fullness. This doesn't mean you can't overfill it, stretch it, and do damage.
I would really do exactly the post-op plan you're supposed to be doing!
charleston-mom
on 1/28/09 10:51 pm, edited 1/28/09 10:52 pm
To be honest, if you don't change your eating habits, your revision isn't going to work. I hate to be harsh, but why are you still eating the wrong things? Why bother with a revision? You can outeat any surgery if you don't change how you eat. My recommendation would probably be some therapy, now, before you do some damage to your new stomach. They are correct about stretching, damage, and the need to weigh and measure what you eat. The question is why you aren't following your doctor's plan? Is there some reason you might be more comfortable heavy that you need to explore with a therapist, some reason you are sabotaging yourself? There's still time - you're still in the honeymoon period. If you can get a handle on it now, you may be able to turn this around. But you honestly need to look in your heart and mind. WLS isn't a magic thing. It's just a tool.

I'm not trying to be harsh - I'm honestly trying to help. The mind thing is the biggest part of this surgery, and the hardest part.
Debbiejean
on 1/29/09 12:35 am - Shelbyville, MI
Right now you are setting  yourself up for failure. Why aren't you following the rules? Anyone and I mean anyone will lose weight with surgery even if they eat crap. If you don't make lifestyle changes from the very beginning you are treading on ice.
Your pouch is still healing, it doesn't register to your brain that you are full until you are several weeks out. That's why we measure our food. You dont' drink with meals ever. Never ever break this rule.
I'm not being mean here, I'm being honest. Make that commitment to yourself right now that you will follow the rules.
Most Active