my surgery

(deactivated member)
on 1/23/09 11:41 pm, edited 1/30/09 9:21 am - Togo

Rhonda S.
on 1/24/09 12:47 am - Bensalem, PA
Hi,

I have posted a little and lurked much more on these boards and have read some of your previous posts and If I recall correctly, you have worked very hard to get approved for the surgery.  At some point, some part of you wanted the surgery.   That said, you have to do what's right for you.  I have found that sometimes just sitting down with yourself and letting the various parts of you dialogue with yourself can bring about wisdom.

I know it sounds way weird but you just sit down and write out a conversation with the part of you that wants the surgery and the part of you that doesn't - sometimes the answer becomes clear - also, if you have a close friend or therapist you feel comfortable sharing it with can be helpful too - its amazing what you don't consider in closed-up basement of our minds sometimes.

How many bad marriages could have been avoided if people called off weddings when they knew in their gut it wasn't right for them but decided to go thru with it anyway cause everything was already set up.

Best wishes to you.  Whatever you decide.  Its the right answer for you at the moment you decide.

Like its said the only thing you have do is die and pay taxes.

Peace,
Rhonda
(deactivated member)
on 1/24/09 1:41 am, edited 1/30/09 9:21 am - Togo

Rhonda S.
on 1/24/09 2:06 am - Bensalem, PA

Do what you need to do and be at peace.
Lisa M.
on 1/24/09 9:01 am - Manahawkin, NJ

I do not post much on this board, but I have taken alot from the discussions that I read.  For some reason I was compelled to reply to your post though.  I had RNY on 10/21 (13 weeks ago) and I was as scared as you are describing.  I was anxious and irritable before the surgery.  Endlessly worried that if complications arose I had no one to blame but myself, etc...  I was literally crying as they wheeled me into the OR.  Now, 13 weeks later I am glad that I went through with it.  I have lost 56lbs so far and have had no complications.  I followed my nutritionists plan to the letter and am feeling wonderful. 

I questioned whether I should try just one more diet program as well before going to such a drastic measure.  But then I thought about how and why I had failed previous attempts at losing weight.  I would always get discouraged at the slow weight loss that I would have and as soon as I ate something I shouldn't have it would start the spiral into non-compliance.  With the surgery you can't eat something you shouldn't have or you'll get sick.  I have yet to eat a carb because I am afraid of getting sick from it.

In the end everyone has to do what feels right for them and I'm certainly not trying to talk you into the surgery.  But I wanted to let you know that you are not alone in your thoughts and feelings.  Good luck to you whatever you decide!

cuppyb
on 1/24/09 12:27 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Revision on 05/20/15 with
I wish you the best in whatever you decide.  It's a difficutl decision and definately scary.  I cried like a baby the day of surgery, the thought of cutting my stomach and intestines and stapling was just too much.  Then thinking all the possible complications and what if something went wrong.  But then I wrote a list of all the pros and cons, and the biggest thing for me was I have 100% faith in Dr. Pohl my WLS.  If he thought this was the right option for me then I trust his judgement and know I'm in good hands with him in the OR. 

At the end of the day you have to be ok with the procedure.  Its definately alright to be scared and request some versed, I was asking for it before they could even give me the name bracelet.   I'm down 60 lbs and loving my revision. 

Anyone who says sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain.- Author unknown

Sugarlove
on 1/24/09 2:11 pm - Arlington, TX
I am 5 years post op.  I have to admit that it was extremely hard.  I lost 135 lbs, but have gained back 40 lbs.  It was all about portion control and exercise.  There were many times that I cried to myself wondering why didn't I just make this change on my own without having my body manipulated.  The truth of the matter was that I couldn't do it on my own.  Without this tool, I wouldn't have the amazing life I have right now.  This is a personal decision that only you can make.  I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide.
(deactivated member)
on 1/24/09 3:43 pm, edited 1/30/09 9:21 am - Togo

cuppyb
on 1/24/09 8:45 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Revision on 05/20/15 with
Don't be afraid of that needle, it really isn't bad.  I originally had a band before my revision and I am petrified of needles ..... to the point where I used to cry everytime they came near me.  My husband asked me how was I going to deal with the band and fills, but my doctor and his physician assistant were wonderful at doing fills and you really don't feel it.  First time I was nervous but after that I was like ok lets do it. 

Anyone who says sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain.- Author unknown

(deactivated member)
on 1/24/09 11:37 pm, edited 1/30/09 9:23 am - Togo

Most Active