Considering A Revision

Dawn.Valentine.
on 1/21/09 12:56 pm - Cedar Grove, NJ
Hi everyone. I am a new member of OH. I am just looking to meet some people maybe that are in a similar situation as I am or could help me with the options that are available. Here's my story...

I had VBG in 2005 at the age of 19. My surgery weight was 252, I ended up getting down to 135 and maintained it for about a little more than a year. And was very proud of myself and may have gotten a little too ****y with how I looked and being young caught up in all the new social adventures I was experiencing. I had been overweight since I was 10yrs old. But in my mid teens I was diagnosed with PCOS. (Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome) which hindered me from losing weight on my own and keeping it off. And as the PCOS progressed the weight gain was unmangable. Which is why I had WLS. After getting down to my goal weight I kept it off for awhile and then I started to regain slowly and the invisible PCOS symptoms which completely went away started to creep back up along with the weight. Needless to say I started to slip back into depression and now feel like a complete failure. I never thought this could happen. But, it did. I'm not going to say I was the most compliant with all the restrictions but I followed them to the best of my ability at that time. I don't think I was prepared for the impact and results of what happened. I truly believe that I wasn't mature enough and now feel like I should of done more to prevent this. But meeting with my PCP he said patients with PCOS who do resort to WLS sometimes it does fail and not to blame myself. Maybe something went wrong to where I am in the position I am in now. He suggested looking into a revision surgery.Now at 22 almost 23 I feel that I am more prepared to handle myself and work this tool better than before. I am determined to lose this weight and keep it off. So that's why I am here. I have been researching and talking to some people and it seems the majority are recommending DS. Especially due to the PCOS. Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for listening.
PekinSal
on 1/22/09 5:48 am - UK
Hi and welcome to OH!

I was diagnosed at about the same age as you with PCOS (this is 20 years ago) and at that point they didnt really have a clue what caused it. I'm not sure they know much more now, except that PCOS seems to be related in some way to insulin control (which is why they prescribe metformin for PCOS as well as diabetes)

In my case the PCOS developed into diabetes ten years later, and with either PCOS or diabetes your metabolism is so shot (from the pills you have to take too) that it is much much harder to lose weight. It gets harder as you get older too. So you should be congratulated on losing so much weight in the first place!

Some forms of weight loss surgery cure the insulin problem, and make it easier to lose weight. Stupidly I chose the band first time, which wasn't one of those. The two that will do it are RNY and DS, where your intestines are rearranged. The DS has a higher percentage (98%) of curing full type 2 diabetes (and PCOS through that) so this was the op I chose the second time round.

My diabetes was cured within days, and probably my PCOS too (hard to tell when you're on long term contraception). I've lost more weight more easily than I ever have, and feel in some way more 'normal' inside!

Sal

DS revision from failed lapband

fatty_fatty_fat_fat
on 1/24/09 4:16 am, edited 1/25/09 12:01 am
Hello!
i'm also new here. alot of what you said really hit home. i'm a little older that you, but i had gastric bypass at age 19. it's an interesting age to lose so much weight at once. being a fat kid, i never had the enjoyment of popularity, dating, or any real social life. all the sudden, i was a young, thin, and all over the place. i very much got caught up in the social adventures, (great way to put it, btw :) ) and ended up a pretty serious alcoholic as a result. my weight re-gain roughly corresponded to my decent into the bottle. i've since sobered up (7 years, baby!) but the weight just keeps coming. i'd say i stuck to guidelines pretty well before i started drinking, but it was all over after that. and now there is no restriction to what i can eat.

now that i'm a little older and have learned what not to do, i feel i'm better prepared to handle the post-op responsibilities. i, quite frankly, don't have the willpower to eat well with an unrestricted stomach, but i had great success before when restricted.

and things are so much different now. my primary goal in losing weight before was essentially to become attractive. obviously, i wouldn't mind becoming attractive again (not so much to others as to myself) but now i've got much bigger issues- i have a wife and 2 kids, who i'd rather not leave without a husband/daddy. i have high blood pressure. chronic back pain (which, btw, is IMPOSSIBLE to get treatment for if you're fat, but that's a whole other rant...). chronic knee pain. all the things you don't get when you're 19.

anyway- not sure where i was going with all this. just typing, i guess.
stina1979
on 1/25/09 9:57 am - OH
Hi Dawn and Welcome!

I've been surfacing these boards since 2000 (not faithfully mind you.)  I have an RNY in 2001 and lost 150 lbs, which put me at a perfect weight for my height etc.  Being a fat kid, fat teen, and fat adult (I had the RNY when I was 21)  this was such a shock to the system...  I'll say, I've always been a pretty girl just a fat pretty girl...  Lord did I hate when people used to say, "you have such a pretty face." 

Any who, I lost all the weight and was on top of the world!!!!  I can not even explain how much fun I had, then five years later I found my husband, got married and had a beautiful boy.  I gained a lot of weight during pregnancy and it's continued to come back with a vengeance!!! 

I'm currently seeking a revision to DS from my old RNY.  I truly think that this is what would really work for me long term. 

Best of luck to all of you!!!

Kristina
Kristina
Most Active