Had my EGD

(deactivated member)
on 1/20/09 10:16 pm

After the procedure the dr said that since he was not familiar with WLS patients he wanted me to have a GI series, I then told him that I had an appt on Friday with the WLS surgeon, and he said, well then, just let him decide what test to have.

On the paper work he gave me it said... The gastroscope was passed through the anastamosis to an insertiona length of 80cm, at this point an additional clean anastoamosis was visualized."

I didnt get a chance to ask him about it cause I was very out of it, they had to triple then add another med to keep me still and comfy.  I do recall the procedure, I remember gagging and trying to take the thing out of my mouth.  I also remember him saying "thats interesting, look at this, I dont think that is supposed to be like that".
Anyone know what an anastoamosis?  I tried to goole it, but couldnt get an answer that I could understand.

I asked on the RNY board too, but thought that since you all were or are going through revision issues I would throw it out here too.

I dont remember much of yesterday at all, I cant believe how out of it I was.  I have never had a problem with getting EGD's.

jillagin2000
on 1/21/09 7:00 am
Main Entry: anas·to·mo·sis
Pronunciation: schwa-secondarystressnas-tschwa-primarystressmomacr-sschwas, secondarystressan-schwas-
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -mo·ses /-secondarystresssemacronz/
1 a : a communication between or coalescence of blood vessels b : the surgical union of parts and especially hollow tubular parts <anastomosis of the ureter and colon is surgically practicable>
2 : a product of anastomosis; especially : a network (as of channels or branches) produced by anastomosis 

I think he's talking about the connection between your pouch and the small intestine.
(deactivated member)
on 1/22/09 6:22 pm, edited 1/22/09 6:37 pm - Togo
I guess the simplest way to say it is that it is 'connective'. connects one to the other. In your case it relates to the rny.

the important thing is, from what you wrote, he gave you a clearance. Now you can move forward.

Bariatric doctors require an upper g.i., but wait and see what the doctor says.

congratulations on getting this far. you are moving right along. 

Doctor:  "thats interesting, look at this, I dont think that is supposed to be like that".

Doctors who are not bariatric doctors are sometimes surprised at what they see when they run tests on a bariatric patient. I had my internist tell me that he never knows what he is going to encounter because there are a variety of wls surgeries done nowadays. He is sometimes amazed at what he sees.

LosingSally
on 1/26/09 11:29 pm
What he saw was this:
The stoma from your pouch to your small intestines. Then he came to where that section of small intestines was reconnected back into the digestive system 80 cm from the pouch. This is the second anastomosis, called " stoma" by most people. A stoma is an opening, an anastomosis is a connection.
Most Active