VSG to Lapband anyone?

JanelG
on 1/20/09 9:46 am - Canada
Hi there,
Just wondering if anyone put a lapband over a VSG?  I would prefer to revise to a DS, but my BMI is too low now (but still 25 lbs to my goal and it's been over 2 years!).  I read about slippage and other issues and wonder if it's worth it to get some more restriction.  Thanks!
(deactivated member)
on 1/21/09 9:51 pm - Brampton, Canada
I truly love my band but if you only have 25 lbs. more to goal I personally would not want the band or another wls.   Can you try to get more results with your VSG?   If not I would try hard to try to diet the rest off.   Not sure how much you already lost but if you can even sustain this weight loss longterm that would be worthwhile to me if I was in your shoes.
Robert P.
on 1/22/09 12:58 pm - Pelham, AL
On January 20, 2009 at 5:46 PM Pacific Time, JanelG wrote:
Hi there,
Just wondering if anyone put a lapband over a VSG?  I would prefer to revise to a DS, but my BMI is too low now (but still 25 lbs to my goal and it's been over 2 years!).  I read about slippage and other issues and wonder if it's worth it to get some more restriction.  Thanks!
I don't want to seem negative, but undergoing another life-threatening surgery to get that last 25 lbs. doesn't seem rational, and I would be suspect of any surgeon who would do it.
(deactivated member)
on 2/28/09 11:34 am - AZ
On January 22, 2009 at 8:58 PM Pacific Time, Robert P. wrote:
On January 20, 2009 at 5:46 PM Pacific Time, JanelG wrote:
Hi there,
I don't want to seem negative, but undergoing another life-threatening surgery to get that last 25 lbs. doesn't seem rational, and I would be suspect of any surgeon who would do it.

The OP has a BMI of 31.8, THAT is obese.  People have their first surgery at a BMI of 30, why shouldn't she be able to get to a healthy weight range?  Obese is obese, it is just as dangerous to be obese after surgery than it is before.

Did you know that pretty much every country outside the US bands or sleeves people with a BMI of 30 or greater?  It's just the US that requires a ridiculous BMI of 35-40 before they'll do anything for patients.

I am all for the OP doing whatever is necessary to get to a healthy BMI.

ElizabethhAnn
on 2/26/09 8:13 am - UK
hello...you know you can go and have your sleeve done again as it is possible that it has stretched a bit.  They can tighten it up again..that may be the best route.
(deactivated member)
on 2/28/09 11:30 am - AZ

Just knowing who your surgeon is I'll bet you a dollar that your sleeve is not a tight 34F.

I don't blame you for wanting to have a surgery that will get you to goal, that's what we have surgery for!  I had my revision at a BMI of 20.8.  And I'd do it again.  I didn't revise for weight loss, I revised because the band was about killing me.  I refused to have the band removed, gain weight, and then have surgery again.

I'd get an upper GI and see just how big your stomach is and go from there.

Most Active