Recommendations for drs in western PA

keal19
on 1/19/09 12:14 am, edited 1/19/09 12:18 am - Clarion, PA
Revision on 08/12/13
Hello--
I had RNY in February 2004 with Dr. Hamad.  I lost successfully for the first 18 months and then maintained briefly for about 6 months, since then it's been a gradual increase, to the current tune of almost 80 pounds!   While I would not say I am 100% perfect, I follow the guidelines far more than I don't.  Since surgery I have not had an appetite, but eat because I know I need to.  I occasionally 'pick' but really try to be cautious about what I am putting into my mouth, and try to eat nuts/fruits/vegetables over sugars.  Having said that I won't say I never eat a piece of candy, piece of cookie or a pretzel.  

Since surgery I have been diagnosed with hashimoto's disease (my body is attacking my thyroid) and hypocalcemia.  They're working to regulate my thyroid and get that all squared away (I've had two small nodules form in the last 9 months).  The hypocalcemia they are working on by asking me to take an extra calcium chew daily, in addition to the Vitamin D I have been taking for 2+years.  

While currently my excerise program is minimal, I typicallyl do aerobics 3-5 times a week for an hour each time.  The program combines strength training, cardio and conditioning, it's a marvelous program and I've missed it over the past few weeks.  I'm anxious to start back tomorrow.  However, I don't count that as a major factor to my weight gain.  While doing aerobics steadily for 6 + months, there was no physical change to my body, I could do the aerobics more easily, but my body did not tone or shrink (no inches or pounds) and I actually gained weight! 

I had scheduled an appointment with my surgeon (Dr. Hamad) in the summer, but due to a scheduling conflict I was unable to make it.  While initially thrilled with Dr. Hamad and her personality and appearance of dedication, I have been disappointed (this even before my weight gain!)  While I was originall told that she wanted to keep seeing me until she either retired or was no longer at UPMC, I have not seen that continue. 

I was scheduled to see her in August of 2007 and she apparently ended up having to miss the appointment due to some conflict and not only was I not contacted to re-schedule prior to my arrival, no one mentioned it at all.  Then no one in the office asked me to re-schedule or to schedule a follow up visit.  I never heard from them again, until I called in 2008 to schedule an appointment, which fell through due to some unusual cir****tances on my end (part of it being that I didn't write it down and then I never heard from them with a reminder call). 

I'm truly at a loss....I don't know where to turn or what to do.  I feel like a failure... I hate seeing people who know I had surgery, I can feel the judgement from some of them.  I have let myself down....

.I don't know whether to re-schedule an appointment with Dr. Hamad or whether to turn to someone else, if so,  I don't know who to consider...

I do not believe my stoma or pouch have stretched, as I have been guilty of not chewing well enough and had severe pain, and I can not eat larger quantities...

danilee30
on 1/19/09 12:47 am - PIttsburgh, PA
Hi Keal,

I recently had a revision due to a fistula and weight gain.  I am in Pittsburgh and my surgeon was Joseph Colella at AGH.  From what I have been told my case was very very difficult and not many surgeons would see or take me.  My original surgery was 10 yrs ago and I had gained most of the weight back.

My PCP begged me to go back to the surgeon which I finally did after about 7 mos.  When I went to him they did a swallow study with a small bowel follow through and discovered the fistula.  It explains a portion of the weight gain.  I was told my anatomy was a mess.

I had my surgery 4/21/08 and suffered through several complications.  I am feeling well now and have lost about 165 lbs.  I have 40 more to lose then will have hernia repair/tummy tuck. 

I hope this helps if you would like additional info, please let me know.

Danna
www.my-calorie-counter.com     The webs free Food">http://www.my-calorie-counter.com/">Food Tracker
http://www.my-calorie-counter.com/TickerEngine.php?RulerImage=ruler21.gif&SliderImage=slider6.gif&Unit=0&Track=true&BW=368&CW=199&TW=150">>
jillagin2000
on 1/19/09 1:54 am
I've been pursuing revision for the past year or so and because of insurance issues I've had to change surgeons.  So, I can give my opinion on one surgeon/office that I know and my initial impressions on the other :-)

Oh, before I go there though you need to quit beating yourself up about this.  It's almost always not the patient's fault, it's usually a mechanical failure of the original surgery!!!  ((((hugs)))

So, I really like Dr Gagne over at West Penn, awesome Doctor.  The office staff are nice too :-)  Now I'm going with Magee Women's Hospital - huge, huge practice and you'll feel like just a number until you meet your sugreon.  My Doctor there is Dr Anita Courcoulas, I'm so far pleased with her, should be having my sugery in the next few weeks and I'll be happy to answer any questions.  PM me.
Michele S.
on 1/25/09 4:23 am
I personally goto Pittsburgh Baractric.  Ther eare two surgeons and they are both very nice.  I have heard many good things about both and the office personel are pretty good!  I go to the office at St. Margarets
If nothing ever changed, there'd be no butterflies.  ~Author Unknown

411 / 210 / 200
chris3838
on 1/25/09 4:36 pm
I highly recommend Dr. Robert Quinlin at Pittsburgh Bariatrics.  I had my RNY in 2001 and had a revision in October.  He is kind, patient and accessible.  Oh, and I think he's a brilliant surgeon.  No problems whatsoever with my recovery from either surgeries.
Most Active