Weight Loss...Diarrhea

(deactivated member)
on 1/17/09 12:14 am - Phx, AZ

Hello.  I'm back with Revision Questions...this maybe long, but I am feeling a bit overwhelmed and somewhat down today. 

I'm finally 8 weeks out from my revision.  The diarrea hit hard and fast.  Weeks 1-3 were horrid (to me) to say the least...I LIVED in the bathroom.  Weeks 5-6 were ones of WATERY diarrea, which resulted in nearly blacking out several times, dizziness, etc, and still living in the bathroom.  During week 7, Joyce (what a help!) told me about the Minute Muffins, which add fiber to the diet... and those seem to help a bit...Dr. S also told me (week 6) that my taking Immodium would be OK too.  So here I am... now week 7 ending, week 8 here...

My usual daily diet includes LOTS of food...
B: 2 eggwhites, 2 turkey sausage links, 1-2 oz cheese (protein!)
1 HR LATER (hungry): Protein shot
MDSNACK: Minute Muffin
1 HR LATER: 1/2 apple, 2 T Peanut Butter
LUNCH: Something approx 20 gr protein
1 HR LATER: Carrot stix
MDSNACK: Protein Shake
DINNER: 2-3-4 oz Protein, veggies
YET LATER....... Minute muffin
And Yes... I do manage to drink a lot of water, esp since getting back to work...Oh, and Yes, an Immodium ea a.m.

In 8 weeks, I have lost 26 pounds...just 4 of those since Monday.  What I am feeling a bit discouraged about is...

#1: I'm hungry all the time!  I eat constantly, as you can see.  This is NOT head hunger.  I believe it's because of the diarrea I still have...what I eat in the a.m. is "gone" in the p.m.

#2: The diarrea...  IF 2T of Flaxseed Meal contains 4 oz of fiber, and there are 4? T in 1/4 cup... X 2 muffins a day, PLUS the Immodium....... shouldn't that have put a damper on the diarrea???  

#3: Is 26 pounds too much to lose in just 8 weeks?

I am worried about low potassium.  I have put in TWO calls to Dr. S's office in the past week, and have gotten NO return call...so I am also feeling VERY ALONE.  I am scared that maybe this is too much on me at this time...the amt of diarrea, the water loss, the hunger... and now the incredible fatigue (not to mention that I do have Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue).  I am also having low blood sugars on and off thruout the day, hence part of the reason why I am hungry a lot and trying to maintain some food intake.

If you can offer advice... please respond, you Revisioneers.  I am worried.

(This signature is WRONG, by the way... now -128)

mew6495
on 1/17/09 3:45 am - MI
 Hi Lizzie,

I am so sorry to hear of your difficulties.  I see why you are so worried.  Dr. S. told me to add benefiber to my diet when I had diarrhea early on.  Maybe something like Metamucil would be better as it is a bit bulkier.

Odd that Dr. S has not returned your calls!  He has always been so good about this type of thing in my experience.  Perhaps he is not getting his messages.  I would call his office and ask to speak with Jen.  She will make sure your message gets through.  Please try calling again as no one on this board is a doctor and you need to speak with him or your PCP.

Hard to say if your weight loss is to much or not as everyone's body is different and it probably has something to do with the amount of weight you have to loose as well.

Hang in there.  I will say a prayer for you.

LosingSally
on 1/18/09 11:30 pm
I believe, in order to reduce irritation, I would try the BRAT diet for a couple of days.
That's the old bananas, rice, applesauce, and unbuttered toast. Try this for a couple of days, adding Benefiber to a liquid as well. You can also add it to applesauce. Start with a teaspoon twice a day, then go to 2 teaspoons twice a day.
This helps me when my IBS flares up.
If it improves, then start adding in other foods. Things like carrots may irritate your stomach and intestines. So try lighter foods when you starting adding in things. The bananas wil help with potassium loss which is dangerous for your heart rhythym.
If it continues, you need to go to the ER for fluids by IV.
tochatty
on 1/23/09 7:17 am - Scottsdale, AZ
I am so sorry you are not feeling well, but I am so glad to have seen your post.  I went and saw Dr S yesterday in order to obtain revision and he told me about the Diarrhea and bloating and cramping and gas.  I'm very nervous about having revision but at the same time I'm so unhappy with the way I am. 

I was at my heaviest 336lbs, got down to 185 and started going back the other way.  I had my upper GI and found I have a rupture in my staple line from the original surgery and so that may have been a contributing factor, but of course poor food choices and not adhering to the original post op recommendations is another.

I would really like some advice out there from others who may have had the revision to tell me about the pros and cons they are experiencing that is different or similar to their first surgery.

Please let me know if you start to feeling better, it sounds like it has been a rough road so far. 

Tochatty (Jennifer) in AZ
Open RNY 07/2000
SW 336, Lowest Weight 185, CW 272
Seeking Revision GBS

Most Active