Lap-Band to VSG anyone?

spybo
on 1/16/09 9:05 am - Houston area, TX
Hello all,
I was at goal, but recently gained back about 15 pounds.  I am still at normal BMI,  but my band is slipped.  I have spoken with my original surgeon who only does LB and RNY.  We are discussing options.

I guess my question is mainly:  Will it be possible to find a surgeon that would revise me to VSG even though I am at normal BMI?  I don't really want another Lap-Band due to all the problems and need for re-operation.  I would only consider another LB if my surgeon would use the same band (so for cost saving).  I was self pay and will have to be again.

Megan
Gail M.
on 1/19/09 5:15 am - Willamina, OR
I undestand where you are at. Im 4 1/2 years out and having problems with my band. Im probably going to have it out this week, it has slipped or dilated which ever it is. Funny thing is the pouch is streached but I havent gained any weight. My dr has offered a replacment of the band or the gastric  sleeve. Im not at goal Im about 10lbs over. But Im thinking the sleeve would be like starting over and I really dont need to loose that much. Im concerened about the band I think that I will always be thinking something is going to go wrong.

My dr. said every patient has gained the weight back after having the band removed. I wonder if that is true, so without the band Its hopelss ?? I just dont know what to think. 

What did you decided to do ?
Gail 
spybo
on 1/19/09 11:59 am - Houston area, TX
My pouch is "the size of a grapefruit" with a circumferential slip.  I am a member of graduate bandsters on yahoo groups and the lady on there who works in a lap band office (and has had the band for 9 years) also says no one who ever got their band removed kept the weight off.

My doctor wants me to get the new band with the cuff that goes all the way around.  I was thinking of the sleeve, but he seems to not be a fan and says in 5 years no one will do the sleeve because it's "transient weight loss."  Well, I don't want to pay for a second and third band self pay!!

Megan
JanelG
on 1/20/09 9:27 am - Canada
Hi Megan, I am in the opposite position...I had the VSG over 2 years ago and I stopped loosing weight after about 8 months post-op. Been dieting and working out since...and still about 20 lbs to my goal!  I wish I got the lap-band instead, because at least it can be adjusted through time as your pouch grows.  With the VSG, once your stomach stretches, that's it...unless you get more surgery!!  I am thinking of getting a band on top of my VSG.  So, if you want my opinion, I would get another band.
spybo
on 1/20/09 10:06 am, edited 1/20/09 10:06 am - Houston area, TX
Well, not quite the same...I actually got to 15 pounds under goal, but now it's in there and doing nothing.  I know of people who had 2 or 3 slips with their band.  Can you afford to keep paying cash  for the same surgery over and over?  I can't.  If I get the sleeve and then re-gain weight I will just get the rest of the DS surgery.  Or give up and get fat.

I don't think you can get the band over the VSG.  They need enough stomach tissue to pull down over the band and stitch to keep the band in place (look up "par flaccida" technique).  With the band, the pouch doesn't grow, it can dilate and then your esophagus dilates, or it can erode through the tissue altogether.  Sorry.

Megan
babsintx
on 1/22/09 3:33 am - GA
Hi,

Thats a tough one. If you are cash pay, then I think there are several mexican surgeons that will do it. I understand your pain. I waited with band problems that spanned a few years and figured even with a slip that I would be able to keep the weight off. In the end, I regained 60 lbs of the 155 I lost and had to start again with the sleeve. Of course, due to my BMI creeping back up to 39, I was able to get an approval through insurance to revise from band to sleeve. PM me and I will give you the name of someone who I believe would do it.

Babs
334 highest/ 169 present and still losing!!!

Most Active