I am back revision

Mwhittle
on 1/16/09 12:52 am - Los Banos, CA
Well I am back on this board posting after 3 of no posting. On Jan 28 I will have a revision done on my previous RNY. 5 years ago I had the surgery done lost as much as 120 pounds, starting weight at surgery 395 lbs, and stoped. My weight stayed at 295 lbs for 4 1/2 years moving 2 to 5 lbs up or down. In the last 6 months all of sudden I gain 20 lbs and with back to my doctor for help. I was some what satisfied that I was 295 lb and not gaining, always knowning that I wanted to be at least 195 lb, so my doctor suggest the Lapband to help me lost the rest of my desired weight.  The other problem I was having, was that food was not stopping to digest in my stomach it was going right through to my intestants, in fact becoming a new stomach for the last 5 years. So from the very beginning was able to eat more than I should have been able to do. Really I am bless I did not gain back all my weight by now.

So Hello to every and anyone that may be still on this board from 5 years ago.

Melvin
(deactivated member)
on 1/16/09 5:50 am
Just wanted to say hi and welcome back.  I'm still a newbie here.
Mwhittle
on 1/16/09 7:39 am - Los Banos, CA
Thank you for your welcome.

Be bless
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens Me.
Pastor Melvin Whittle
Lorie2
on 1/16/09 7:16 am
Hi
My story is exactly like yours. I am also looking into a revision. I'm looking into having a duodenal switch. I am only going to go thru this once more. I have a consult on Jan 22 and will find out more on this surgery. If you want to check it out go the the Ds forum. There is lots of info there. It took me a lot of research to come to this. I also considered the band and the stomaphyx. The Ds seems the way to go for me. I also am waiting to see what insurance will do. Good Luck with what ever you decide and please keep me informed!!

Lori
Mwhittle
on 1/16/09 7:38 am - Los Banos, CA
Thanks for your welcome. I have done a lot of research on the topic, but at the same time I have one of the best doctors in the nation when it comes to weight loss surgery. He know through the nation and world for his ability to preform this surgury and know what is best for each patience. He is actually a teacher to other doctor for does want to learn do weight loss surgery.

Also this decision was made over a 2 1/2 year period. After I stop losing weight he consider doing the lapband 2 1/2 years ago, but because I felt like I might be able to lose the rest of my weight without revision I waited. But after I started gain weight after 4 1/2 years of having the surgery it became clear I need additional assistance when it came to surgery.

Take your time and once your mind is made up, you will be able to live with your decision.

Be bless in the Lord.
Pastor Melvin Whittle
Kathy H.
on 1/16/09 2:21 pm - Kent, WA
Welcome back!

I'd like to toss my thoughts in about the DS, as well. I'm sure your physician is competent, but I implore you to do some research on your own. Your Dr may not perform the DS, and doesn't know, himself, the benefits. 

The Duodenal Switch board is a great place to start. Head over there and do some reading. I think youi'll find several folks who have revised from failed RNYs and are doing marvelously well.

This site, too, is a good source of information: http://www.dsfacts.com/

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Kathy
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you considered the Duodenal Switch? Information is power.

fancyface51
on 1/17/09 2:44 pm - Marietta, GA
Can anyone provided the list of blood tests required in the malabsorption panel for a revision from RNY to DS.  Phyllis
brandlin23
on 1/18/09 1:18 pm - Ft. Wainwright, AK
Just wanted to say hello! I am also very new at this board. I found out a week ago I had a gastric fistula so I am hoping to have a revison very soon to fix this crazy problem! :) Welcome back!!
FernTate
on 1/23/09 12:40 am
Melvin, what exactly is Dr. Higa going to do?  Tighten the pouch and stoma?  How? I have the
same problem: food falls thru, always hungry, can't lose weight after RNY.
Mwhittle
on 1/27/09 12:41 pm - Los Banos, CA
I am having the Lapband done on tomorrow 1/28. Sorry to get back you so late, but I was on a cruise on last week.

He told be the tightem of the pouch did not work that well. I might people in office that have had the revision from RYN to Lapband and they all say it was a successful.
Pastor Melvin Whittle
Most Active