I need a patient advocate and advice

Tiff tells all
on 1/15/09 2:42 am - Ewa Beach, HI
RNY on 05/21/19
I'm having a small problem with my lap band. My surgeons stiches on the port came loose and his office doesn't think he should be responsible for fixing it because I was a cash pay patient and my "surgery was so deeply discounted, they won't cover the complication!"  WTF!!!!

I'm just now hitting my 90 days post-op.

I need to talk with someone about my patient rights and the doctors responsibility in this fiasco.
Any ideas?

Tiff

Current MD- Dr. Mikami, Honolulu Hawaii

Lapband 14cc AP Lg in 2008- slipped and removed 2016 -VSG July 21, 2016-dx Gerd

** RNY Revision 05/21/2019 **

"A few drops of hope can water and nourish our garden" - Jean M

jillagin2000
on 1/15/09 5:35 am
Go to the ER - get yourself seen. 
(deactivated member)
on 1/15/09 7:42 am, edited 1/15/09 8:08 am - Togo
You are definitely being screwed.

The first thread on this wls forum is titled "Do you have a question?" That would be a place to start.

There are other areas on the forum here that would be good to go to - 'Q & A'; 'chat'; and one titled 'professional'. 'The 'professional' would be especially good i would think.

Look around on the forum here - read the big and little print - and you will find resources that could probably help you.

Most people don't go past the thread and post part, but there is a great deal of information here. 

Also, while I myself haven't had problems with my doctor, I have seen others post who contacted some 'bariatric' firm or something to sort things out for them. keep posting. there is a good chance someone can give you a 'heads up' on where to go and who to turn to for help. 

Hope my post is of some help to you. Wish I could be of further assistance. What an awful situation to find yourself in.

Wishing you the best. 

Tiff tells all
on 1/15/09 12:07 pm - Ewa Beach, HI
RNY on 05/21/19
Thank you! I'll continue to poke around and see what I can find.

Tiff

pepsi98
on 1/16/09 9:32 pm - Norwich, CT
On January 15, 2009 at 10:42 AM Pacific Time, titantiff wrote:
I'm having a small problem with my lap band. My surgeons stiches on the port came loose and his office doesn't think he should be responsible for fixing it because I was a cash pay patient and my "surgery was so deeply discounted, they won't cover the complication!"  WTF!!!!

I'm just now hitting my 90 days post-op.

I need to talk with someone about my patient rights and the doctors responsibility in this fiasco.
Any ideas?
You know what Tiff?  I should have posted to you on the band board, but I just thought that you should probably email [email protected].  If it weren't for Kelley, I would not have been able to get my band at all as I was denied.  It's worth a try...when they see an attorney involved often this is what makes people willing to negotiate.  Kelley and her husband Walter are both attorneys and dedicate their practice to obesity law issues.

Good luck!

Sue
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

Tiff tells all
on 1/17/09 1:36 am - Ewa Beach, HI
RNY on 05/21/19
Thank you Sue- I will certainly contact her first thing.  Thank you!!!!

Tiff

Most Active