Finally know what is wrong!

brandlin23
on 1/14/09 8:59 am - Ft. Wainwright, AK
Got the call from my surgeons office in Pensacola and the problems I have been having is a gastric fistula that has been causing a lot of the problems. So the first questions the dr's office asked was if I was willing to drive to Florida which I said yes to. Now I am just waiting to hear back from the office to see when and where and most importantly, if the insurance is going to pay. I pray that Tricare Prime is going to cover it! I started to cry on the phone when the nurse told me that my weight gain wasn't my fault! I was so relieved to know that I had other issues that caused me never to make goal and to gain weight beside my pregnancy! I do wonder if they will do more of a ERNY then just a fix of the fistula... if anyone has any idea about this, I would love to hear from you!! Or if anyone has had a repair by Tricare. Thanks! 
(deactivated member)
on 1/14/09 3:42 pm - Togo
Wow ! You must be thrilled and unhappy both at the same time.

I am so glad you know what it is now. I bet you were thrilled to find out it wasn't just you, but real medical reasons for the weight gain. Now doors will open for you again. Doctors love to do bariatrics with people who have legitimate medical conditions.

On the other hand so sorry you have a fistula. But at least it is something that can be taken care of. 
How are you feeling now? I mean have there been any more episodes of blood spitting or pain? 

(deactivated member)
on 1/14/09 9:37 pm
So glad that you finally have answers.  Hope that you can jump through the insurance stuff quickly and be on a road (literally, LOL) to feeling better.
lisabelll
on 1/14/09 11:21 pm
I am just a few days post op, so can't help you long term but can say with certainty that I understand the relief about not being at fault due to the fistula!  I just had my pouch revised and fistula actually removed   (never went in planning to have part of my stomach removed - but really in the long run hasn't been a problem and I didn't use it anyway   ).  I had felt like a failure for 8 yrs!  Essentially mine was a staple line failure.  And my original surgery had the pouch WAY too large.  So they only remade the pouch and removed the fistula.  (well, and gave me a feeding tube for 2 weeks after surgery - still in that timeline).  I did't have anything done with the intestines.  I believe for me with the larger pouch and my original weight loss, this is what will work best for me.

I am PM able, if you want me to answer anything about my surgery 
brandlin23
on 1/15/09 12:46 am - Ft. Wainwright, AK
Thank you everyone for all your support!!! It is so nice to have people who understand!! I am feeling ok. Still nauseous and some pain here and there but no vomiting! Fairly controllable! Thanks again to everyone for supporting me so much!! 
FernTate
on 1/23/09 12:43 am
What is a fistula?
Most Active