Had VGB should revision to RNY or DS?

Juliana J.
on 1/14/09 9:31 am
Hello, I am new to the forum.  I had a VGB back in 2000, and lost only 40 lbs.  Since then I had two kids and gain the 40 lbs back.  I am 5'2", 245 lbs, and last I checked my BMI is around mid 40's.  When I had my surgery I was young and did no research,  just decided to have WLS and found a doctor, got approved and had the surgery.   Had I done my research I would have known that the VGB was absolutely wrong for me.  My problem now is that my body has adjusted to small portions.  Don;t get me wrong I eat about 1 cup at a time, but very poor choices.  I know I need the absorption factor.   I believe that the DS is the WLS for me, but there are no Dr's in the Dallas area that do it.  My last surgery was perform away from home and I believe that if I had the support system I would have done better.  Should I go for the RNY in Dallas or go out of town and have the DS?

Any reply would be greatly appreciated.  THX
(deactivated member)
on 1/14/09 9:40 pm
thats a decision that only you along with the help of your DR can make.  I say do lots of reasearch.  I'm kinda in the boat with you.  Had RNY in 2001, didnt know there were other choices in WLS.  While I cant say that it didnt work for me, I am currently looking into a revision.  You are def in the right place, the amount of support and info on this site is amazing!
Msdragonz
on 1/15/09 9:21 am, edited 1/15/09 9:23 am - NEPA, PA
Hi There!
Very good advice- research as much as possible and make your own decision. That said, I can only give you my experience.

In 1999 I had gastric bypass surgery, no research, no follow up-nothing. Just here's your surgery-have a nice day. This was in my own town. I was almost 300 lbs and lost 80 lbs. Slowly I have been gaining back and am up to almost 250 again. I had resigned myself to the fact that I had failed and was "doomed" live as a morbidly obese person forever. That is until I found out about revisions and found the boards here at OH.

I almost settled for revision to RNY- I was approved, and it was only a couple hours away and I could have had it quick. Luckily someone nudged me over to the DS board. After doing HUGE amounts of research, I knew without a doubt that the DS was for me. It has the best success rate and best long term results. There are a lot of things to comply to (supplements, carb control..etc), but it gives the most "normal" quality of living/eating that I could have asked for. I did NOT want to end up back here on the revision board 2 a few years crying again- I wanted this to be my last surgery.

So after sticking it out, and waiting for what I wanted, I am getting revised to DS on Jan 26th and couldn't be happier. I will no longer have to live with the fear, shame and self loathing that my first surgery has given to me, and when I lose the weight-I never have to lose it again.

As far as a support network, you could not find a better one than the one at your fingertips-"OH" rocks and there is always someone who has been through whatever you need answers to. I know face to face might seem better, but in the long run I win out-because I have support 24/7.
The people on here have helped me so much, are always kind and careful to answer questions honestly-no sugarcoating here. You get what you need-which is sometimes different than what you want..lol..

Anyways, ultimately-the choice is yours. If you haven't gone to the DS board yet-hop on over there. Ask all the questions, get all the answers and make your choice with an educated mind. It;s something you have to live with forever.

If you have any questions for me, just shoot me a PM, if I can help I will, or I'll find someone who can.

Have a wonderful night!
In Love and Light,
Robin

P.S.- I am traveling 3 hours away for my surgery.

"Friends will help you move, real friends will help you move bodies.."
Juliana J.
on 1/15/09 9:51 am
Thank you guys so much for your input,  I am pretty sure that the right surgery for me is the DS.  I have been researching for the last year and the only fear I have is that I can not find any doctor in my area that do it.  I was thinking about settling for the RNY, but after some thought last night, this is a life long choice and that should not be taken lightly.  I settled last time and failed.  I already posted on the DS forum and got great responses as well.   My next step is choosing a doctor and getting approved.  I know my insurance does pay for WLS within their guidelines, my only fear is that they will not pay for a revision.  I already failed once, what gives them a guaranty that I can make it this time?  Thanks again, Juliana
Most Active