RNY to Revised RNY?

stina1979
on 1/16/09 1:47 am - OH
Hi Nicole:

I had RNY back in 2001.  I lost all the weight and five years later it started coming back!  I'm now only 20lbs away from my heaviest.  That being said, I too am looking for a revision.  I have an appointment with a surgeon February 3rd to discuss a revision to DS.

TTUL

Kristina
Kristina
Kerry J.
on 1/16/09 10:21 pm - Santa Clara, UT
Hi Kristina,

I had a revision from gastric bypass/RNY to DS and am very happy with the results. So I think you're on the right track to look into the DS as an option for you. That being said, you have to be careful who you listen to about the DS, if your surgeon isn't a DS surgeon, the chances are that you will get a bunch of myths and false information from him about the DS. You need to do your own research about DS and get to know how it works and what the real facts are, do not take anyones word on it, do the digging yourself; read, research and then decide what's best for you. Then and only then, find a surgeon that's an expert on what you want. There are lots of very good RNY surgeons that are clueless about the DS. I'm not saying that your surgeon is one of them, I don't know anything about him, I just know what I've seen and heard from so many RNY experts and it's a bunch of BS about the DS.

A good place to start is over on the DS board, it's very active and there are lots of people there that can give you their real life experiences. You can also go to www.dsfacts.com or  www.duodenalswitch.com to read about the real DS facts, figures and studies. You can also go to my profile and read about what I've been through to get here. Research as much as you need to and only cut once.

Best regards,

Kerry

stina1979
on 1/16/09 11:14 pm - OH

Thanks Kerry.  I have a feeling that you think the revision surgeon that I picked was the one listed on my profile??  If so, that's not the one, he's actually the RNY guy that I go to in Cleveland Clinic, he performed a repair for me a few years ago and I can't figure out how to change the surgeon on my profile, as I've decided to see Dr. Brian Lane in Toledo. 
From what I've read he has a lot of experience in not only DS but RNY to DS revisions.  I've also been posting a lot of the DS board and reading up at dsfacts.com and duodenalswich.com etc. 

I'm pretty nervous, as this is major...

Keep in touch.

Kristina

Kristina
Kerry J.
on 1/16/09 11:37 pm - Santa Clara, UT
 Kristina, 

It sounds like you're doing the right thing and you're right; a revision from RNY is a major deal; it's nothing to trifle with. If your surgeon has done lots of RNY to DS revisions, he would be a good one to talk to.

I spoke to several of the top DS surgeons trying to find the right one for me and some wouldn't even consider revising me because they felt it would be too dangerous. And, I had to really press them to find out why they thought it would be too dangerous, but I did get the specific details of what they were worried about. Knowing those details really helped me in choosing Dr. Rabkin because he could tell me what he does to mitigate all the concerns the other surgeons had.  IMO that's the type of information anyone considering a revision should get.

Best regards,

Kerry  
Kerry J.
on 1/16/09 10:28 pm - Santa Clara, UT
 Hi Nicole,

I lived with a failed gastric bypass/RNY for 28 years before getting revised to DS. I lost all my excess weight with the original WLS, but gained it all back, you can go to my profile to read all the details if you want to.

To make a long story short, please check out the DS before you get your revision, make sure you know the difference and what your lifestyle will be like with RNY and with DS before you go under the knife again. For me, it was a no brainer, the DS life is for me after living with the RNY for so long. After getting the DS, I couldn't be more pleased, the results are better than I could have imagined. 

Best regards,

Kerry
Jennifer D.
on 1/18/09 6:27 am
Hi Nicole
I can see that your planned revision is so close you can taste it - mine is too - but I'm not going for it. I was approved to have a revision to my RNY on November 13th. The surgery was so close - I couldn't wait!!! Then I found out about and researched the DS. This surgery is not for everyone but personally, it stopped me in my tracks and I now have an app. in for the DS. I couldn't imagine putting myself through a life-risking surgery TWICE and still having to exist in this body.

You can change your doctors name by going to My OH - Settings - Status - then "my surgeon" - difficult to see at the top of the tab

Best Wishes,
Jen
                                      Jennifer
          Thank you Cheri and Holly!
       Think twice, cut once! I've had 3 surgeries now, RNY, VSG and DS .
                                Ask me about the DS or visit dsfacts.com
2002 - RNY
2010 - RNY to VSG
2011 - Full DS-August 24th
                HW 311   SW 306  CW 235  GW 150
Most Active