Tijuanna Travel Warning!!PLEASE READ!!!

LUCKY1001
on 1/13/09 11:54 am - goodyear, AZ
There are still safe place to get surgery in Mexico. But Tijuanna is just not one of them. I have had  bad expereinces there every time I went down there. The police have taken all my cash and even the cd out of my cd player. But none of that  compares to the kidnapping and beheading of Americans. If oyu are going to please dont go to TJ. The following info was taken from the state dept's website. I just feel that we take so much time to research we should know EVERYTHING about our Dr including the towns they practice in.

Armed robberies and carjackings, apparently unconnected to the narcotics-related violence, have increased in Tijuana and Ciudad Juarez. Dozens of U.S. citizens were kidnapped and/or murdered in Tijuana in 2007. Public shootouts have occurred during daylight hours near shopping areas.

Criminals are armed with a wide array of sophisticated weapons. In some cases, assailants have worn full or partial police or military uniforms and have used vehicles that resemble police vehicles.

Criminals have followed and harassed U.S. citizens traveling in their vehicles, particularly in border areas including Nuevo Laredo, Matamoros, and Tijuana.

For any emergencies involving U.S. citizens in Mexico, please contact the closest U.S. Embassy or Consulate. The U.S. Embassy is located in Mexico City at Paseo de la Reforma 305, Colonia Cuauhtemoc, telephone from the United States: 011-52-55-5080-2000; telephone within Mexico City: 5080-2000; telephone long distance within Mexico 01-55-5080-2000. You may also contact the Embassy by e-mail at: [email protected].

Lucky1001_proudOHbyLizzyL.gif

(deactivated member)
on 1/13/09 4:05 pm - Togo
Thank you so much for posting that !! I have a close friend who went there for surgery and when she came out from under being sedated she had a sore throat and black and blue bruises on and around her mouth and the sides of her face. Apparently she had been used for oral sex by god only knows how many and for how many times while she was under sedation. When she tried to complain she was threatened and intimidated terribly. That was 7 years ago now and she is still traumatized from the experience to this very day. 

She was an american woman.
505dardar
on 1/14/09 3:35 am - albuquerque, NM
Wow,  what a nightmare you had!!!  Pulleeeze do not, DO
 NOT  bear false witness.  Any Mexicali is also in Mexico and in the same boat as TJ.  Both in Mexico.  Be careful of the stones you throw.  Shame on you.
(deactivated member)
on 1/16/09 6:05 am, edited 1/17/09 1:50 am - Togo

From Lucky1001: Warning!! PLEASE READ!!
----------------------------------

From 505dardar:

"...nightmare...in Mexico."

---------------------------------------------------------------------

...and so it goes...

johns-wife
on 1/14/09 4:36 am, edited 1/14/09 4:36 am
I went to Monterrey, and everyone was really nice.. pro-americano I suppose and the town in general had a real American feel, right down to the crazy drivers. The Hampton I stayed at was next door to a starbucks, mcdonalds, and applebees. I am a bit scared of Tijuana too, which is why I couldn't go to Cosmed for PS. When I have my plastics done, it will be with Dr. Sauceda, who is in Monterrey.
PS. I lived in Miami for 5 years and more people speak English in Monterrey than in Miami.
Deanne K.
on 1/14/09 12:16 pm - Tucson, AZ
I live in Southern Arizona and they are even telling us not to go to Mexico any longer as the drug cartels are killing even the police chief of Nogales, Sonora, just about 70 miles or so south of Tucson.  They say if you don't have to go there, then don't leave the US.  They are even worried that the increase in violence is already moving north into the US and it is an all out war wth the drug runners and the border patrol.  Just be as safe you can and check out the travel statuses before going to Mexico.  This is reality right now.  You won't see me going to Mexico anytime soon because of the violence. 
Band2RNY
on 1/16/09 12:52 pm
I had my lap band surgery in Monterrey Mx by Roberto Rumbaut.  I traveled alone.  It was a smooth and safe experience.  Most of the people I came in contact with were pleasant and helpful.  Many spoke English. 

For convenience, I had my fills in TJ. (I live in Los Angeles).   I had made several trips there without any problems.  Most of them, again alone.  On my last trip, I drove down w/ 2 of my sisters for a fill.  On our way back, we were pulled over by a crooked cop for no reason.  Luckily a young Mexican American guy (looked like a college student) pulled over and began questioning the officer on why he pulled us over.  They began arguing in Spanish.  The young man explained to us that the cops were crooked and frequently shake down unsuspecting Americans...demanding money, valuables or on occasios have been involved in assaults of women etc. 

The officer demanded the guy go about his business, and told us to follow him to the police station.  Again, we hadn't done anything.  We followed him from the city up through winding country hillside into what appeared to be wilderness.  I was on the phone trying to get a hold of anyone back home to let them know where we were in case we did not return.  Eventually my sisters and I agreed there was nothing kosher about what was going on, so we stopped following him and went back toward the city.  He was on a motorcycle and could have came back for us, but didn't.  I think he concluded that between the guy as a witness and me on the phone, he might be taking a big risk if he followed through with whatever plan he had.

Very scary.  I will never go back to TJ.  Definitely not driving a U.S. plate car.  All other times I used a taxi and did not have a problem.  But poverty is so rampant and since you can't even trust the police.....I think I'll stay in the U.S.

Preop 267/Post Band 167/ Now 245 Awaiting Approval for Revision 2 RNY

mew6495
on 1/17/09 4:55 am - MI
 I use to travel 3 weeks out of the month for 5 years to Monterrey and Acuna Mexico.  I went alone, drove alone and walked the streets "alone" without any problems what so ever.  The people were ALWAYS very pleasant and nice and I never felt threatened.

I think, just like parts in the US, that there are areas you need to stay clear of.  Juarez is one of them.  Some of the crime I seen while in Juarez right out in public was astounding.  But I would not judge all of Mexico by these rampant crime areas.

It is always good to be aware and know the type of area you are going into.

Most Active