bad things about DS??

Olivia L.
on 1/12/09 2:24 pm
 hi again! i am doing extensive research because i really want the DS and my therapist suggested i get both sides of the story i guess. 
so can you tell me any complications you have had or maybe why you have revised from a DS?

just for a reference point, i am 18 years old, 6 feet tall, and 390 lbs. i have 200 to lose.

Any advice, suggestions, horror stories?

Thank you
 xoxo Olivia   
HW: 428 August 2009
CW: 220 June2012
GW:175 September 2012?!

Jennifer L.
on 1/12/09 3:08 pm - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/10/13 with
you should also post this on the DS forum.. they could at least tell you the side effects of the DS... not sure about revisions though. Getting advice from all angles is a good thing!

HW: 275 SW: 265 CW: 200 GW: 135 Month 1: -25 Month 5: -65lbs total
On the fence about self-pay options and if Mexico is the right choice (or scared of that option)? Let my experience (first time ever in Mexico) be your guide. Don't let fear hold you back!

Instagram

"You make me new, you are making me new" Gungor

PekinSal
on 1/13/09 5:54 am - UK
I haven't had any complications. I only know of a few people who have had their DS revised - usually because they have lost too much weight and need their common channels lengthening.

The only thing I would emphasise is that although DS is the easiest surgery to be successful at, it isn't effortless, and your co-operation will be required. I only say this because when I had the band I had the attitude of 'Go on then, make me thin', which I don't think you should have with any surgery.

You still have to stay away from carbs, but then you can eat fatty food instead. The 'stick' to keep you in line is the gas you'll get from carbs, which some people say is a downside, but which I feel helps me stay in control. I've lost 74% of my excess weight in 9 months, but now I need to exercise. DS makes you normal, not superhuman!

DS revision from failed lapband

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 1/13/09 1:18 pm
To get as many replies from DSers as possible, I'd ask this on the DS board. You won't find any DSs that were revised to other surgeries such as a band or RNY, that wouldn't make sense, so I assume you mean just having the DS revised??. It's not common, but the stats say there is an occasional one that has the common channel length changed to adjust the malabsorption.
Maria C.
on 1/15/09 10:54 am - KY
I had a postop leak but  that could have occurred with RNY too - it healed in a month and things are great now.  I love my DS!

HW 246    SW 243     CW - below goal    GW 139     Height 5'3"
jass28
on 1/20/09 2:16 am - A Town, NJ
Olivia,

I was a revision fromt he band to the DS and it was the BEST decision I've ever made.  Go to the DS board.  There's tons of information and post your questions. 

339/318.6/125/155/165
SW/SW/LW/CW/GW      
Revision from Lapband to DS and Had healthy post-op baby, LOVE MY DS!

Most Active