What are the reasons for a revision?

Pam M.
on 1/13/09 3:19 pm - WA

I got my band in July of 2008, and am already looking into revision to RNY. On November 24th, the Monday before Thanksgiving. I had to have emergency surgery to repair a slipped band. My doctor is very clear that it was not something I could have controlled. I experienced the most excruciating pain imaginable, and I spent an entire night throwing up (or heaving, as I really had nothing in me to throw up). I don't ever want to experience that kind of pain again. Nothing made me happier than when I went to the emergency room and they gave me an IV with pain medication. After an upper GI, my surgeon came in the room and told me, "We are doing surgery tonight." He didn't wait until morning. I experienced a lot of foaming and PBing with my band, and heartburn if I ate the wrong things. In addition, I could not eat food until about noon every day. Lastly, I have high blood pressure and sleep apnea, and I am not certain that I will be able to lose the weight necessary with the band to resolve these health issues.

I used to be terrified of RNY, which is why I chose the band. Since having my surgery, and subsequently my emergency surgery, I fear RNY a lot less than I used to. I have a great surgeon, and I trust him completely. He is not the surgeon who did my original surgery in July.

~My story on my revision to RNY from the lap-band is in my profile~

Most Active