What are the reasons for a revision?

jeanyjane
on 1/12/09 1:06 am - Germany
Bad aftercare (not getting fills!) and not following the eating rules are surely main reasons why the lapband often fails, but there are many, and I think waaay to many people whose band fails (not loosing enough weight or major problems) although they DO follow the rules. This is why my aunt`s (for whom I am doing research here) has decided against the band. Even if everything goes all right for years and you are loosing enough weight, you will most likely end up on the operation table again, because it is highly unlikely that a lapband lasts 20, 30 or more years. The reoperation even at 5-10 years out is huge (20-25 % according to my aunt`s surgeon). Don`t fool yourself into thinking that you can always get a revision later - the band can cause major scarring in the stomach that will make revisions much more risky or even impossible.
(deactivated member)
on 1/12/09 6:45 am - Brampton, Canada

Here in Canada I know personally many bandsters who have been banded since 2001, and still successful with original band.   Maybe the band won't last 20, 30 or more years down the road but that goes for the effects of the rny and ds, etc.  

That far down the road I am not worried  plus who knows what new and improved surgeries, etc. will be available for obese people by then.

kfgates
on 1/12/09 7:13 am - Bath, ME

Donna you have been so helpful.   So did they remove the staples so your stomach was back to the way (forgive the term) God made you?  LOL LOL.  I am glad to hear that the band is what your were looking for.   Reading the revision board is almost like reading (Good Lord forgive the biblical referals) Revelations.   You want to know what could happen, but after you find out you can't stop thinking about it.    I am going to have a band placed on Feb 13...yup that is a Friday.   Good thing I am not supersticious.   During my 8 month process and jumping thru hoops I assumed the worst and decided that to keep me out of a major depression I choose to loose weight.  I am still above a 35 BMI but know since I have been dieting I will not see the big weight loss you usually have after being banded.    How did you do Post Op?   Thanks again for taking the time to answer questions.

Kimberly

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, and that is why they call it the present.

(deactivated member)
on 1/12/09 7:47 am - Brampton, Canada
Kimberley, there is no way they can remove the staples after weight loss surgery as they usually become scattered throughout and become embedded in stomach tissue.   If anyone says all their staples have been removed they are more than likely mistaken.   Also after any operation you develop scar adhesions, they can be removed to a degree but not all of them and they grow back at least somewhat.

To be honest I am glad I never read any of these forums before deciding on a revision to the lap-band as it would of scared me off more than likely.  Getting the lap-band FOR ME was the best decision and has been wonderful.   Just remember it is a slower weight loss as we do not have malabsorption but I was happy with that because I don't have to worry about dealing with the issues of that.  

Post-op it took me four fills over four months to reach my sweet spot and until then I would get depressed at times but just cut down my calories and plodded along.  I weighed 251 lbs. on my day of surgery and reached my goal weight of 124 lbs. twenty months later for an average of 1.54 lbs. per week.   Slow but steady and I have maintained or stayed below goal for just over one year now. 

I have a wonderful surgeon and excellent aftercare provided by my band clinic and support is everything along with motivation.   You need to think of the sweet spot as a moving target that can change overtime.  If you don't go for fills to stay at your sweet spot you won't do as well so please stay on top of it.  I also started a local monthly support group my surgeon sponsors and that has helped me deal with head hunger.   I also attend other weight loss surgery support groups and have met many people who are good friends now.

It's important to remember also that fills sometimes take several days to kick in, for myself two days before I feel it.  Also the band is amazing but it is not a cure all we still have to deal with the underlying reasons we turned to food to self medicate in the first place.

Most importantly we need to eat just enough to feel satisfied but not to feel that old stuffed feeling we experienced in the past when we were obese.

Best wishes, 
(deactivated member)
on 1/12/09 1:30 pm, edited 1/13/09 1:38 am - Togo

l

(deactivated member)
on 1/12/09 9:02 pm - Brampton, Canada
It's very smart to be concerned about follow-up.  Research the surgeon well and his aftercare support and don't be afraid to get it in writing.  The surgeon having celebrities as patients really is not necessarily an indicator that he is a good surgeon.

In my opinion it is very important to have follow up with your banding surgeon because if you go to another doctor for fills (unless approved by your surgeon in writing) he may very well not cover the warranty on your band if you develop a leak in the tubing, band or port , etc.  Most other doctors do not want to deal with another surgeon's patient unless they have a deal worked out.

Again make sure you know what aftercare your band clinic is offering and only go with a surgeon you are comfortable returning to for fills and any other problems that may come up or you may very well end up with major problems.  That is my humble opinion but I know I am right.
kfgates
on 1/12/09 8:56 pm - Bath, ME
Donna this may sound silly, but WHAT WOULD WE DO WITHOUT YOU!   Thank you for you help.   I too believe the band is the best choice for ME.  I have researched all my options and becasue my weight is not 100lbs overweight a "inside reconstruction" is not necessary.   Your info on fills is helpful as well.   I have a wonderful doctor and his office staff is fantastic.  My only problem is that the closest support group is 1 hour away.   I will still attend.  Did you go back to a liquid diet after each fill?   Do you still drink protein shakes daily?   Even now I drink EAS with skim milk for 90% of my breakfasts.   Were you exceptionally tight in the am?   Again, thank you for taking the time to answer our questions!   I have my pre op with my dr. on the 20th.   Kimberly

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, and that is why they call it the present.

(deactivated member)
on 1/12/09 9:33 pm - Brampton, Canada
Thanks for the kind words!   If you are not near a support group you can always access the forums here and if your surgeon has one all the better.   You can always do what I did at first and meet others online and then meet in a public place like a coffee shop until someone does start a support group locally.  i have many people attend the support group I facilitate who also live 1 - 2 hours away and they come out when the weather is good or we have a guest speaker.

Check with your clinic but most clinics recommend not eating or drinking for a few hours before each fill and staying on liquids  for the remainder of day.  I usually do that too as your stomach may be a little swollen.  No I do not drink protein shakes daily, but nothing wrong if you do.  Just remember to not use drinks as a meal replacement as liquids will not give us a full feeling like solids do.

Yes, once you reach a higher restriction level with fills most but not all bandsters feel tight in the morning.  (Just like most of us find our jewelery tighter in the morning on our fingers.  I personally wake up at 7:15 am and only drink a coffee till around 12 noon when I have my first solids.  No one really knows why our stomachs seem to swell but it's only a problem if you can't get solids down after the noon time.   A breakfast smoothie or protein shake may be a good choice then and sometimes a warm or hot drink helps to loosen the tight feeling.  Always ask your band clinic for advice as they will know best how they want you to proceed.

Best wishes with your pre-op and let us know how you make out.
PekinSal
on 1/13/09 6:07 am - UK
We all go into surgery optimistic. But the statistics show that only half the people with a band lose half the weight they need to. The rest don't. You can't tell which group you'll be in, no matter what you think today, since most of the reasons for 'failure' are things you have no control over.

It may work brilliantly for you, in which case you have my congratulations. Then again it might not. The trick is knowing which group you end up in, and not sitting there feeling bad if you aren't getting along with it in a year's time. I wasted 2.5 years on the band, and wish I'd known then what I know now. Best of luck.

DS revision from failed lapband

Pam M.
on 1/13/09 3:23 pm - WA

"since most of the reasons for 'failure' are things you have no control over."

Here here!

~My story on my revision to RNY from the lap-band is in my profile~

Most Active