What are the reasons for a revision?

kfgates
on 1/11/09 4:19 am - Bath, ME
I am about to get my lap band and am going in open eyed.   I realize it is not for everyone, but what are some of the reasons for its failure.   I realize this is a touchie subject, but please know I appreciate any insite you have to offer.   Kimberly

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, and that is why they call it the present.

Angie P.
on 1/11/09 12:47 pm - Warren, OH
I agree...some people do wonderful with the band.  I was not one of them.  I had the band for 2-1/2 years before I had it removed.  I hated food, I mean HATED food.  Eating made me vomit EVERY day.  I did everything I could, had 'zero' fill in my band, but I could not eat.

In the mornings, I had to be up for at least 4-5 hours before I could even take a drink of water (or I'd throw up).  I had a list longer than my arm of foods I couldn't eat - including bread, pasta, chicken, lettuce, most fruits, potatoes, rice, etc).  They would not go down.  I could chew until the cows came home, but if I ate even the smallest bite, I threw up.  I imagine I threw up no less than 5 times a day for over 2 years.

In addition, I had constant reflux.  It was hard to sleep at night.  I usually could not eat or drink anything for at least 4 hours before bed, or I had to get up - to throw up.

For me, having the lap band made me stop living.  I just could not handle it anymore.  I wanted to be thin more than anything, but I decided that my life was more valuable than being a slave to the band.

I'm now going to get the RNY (after 2 years without the band).  Oh, by the way, I lost about 45 pounds with the band...that's about it.  Even though I couldn't eat, I also didn't lose after the first year.

You asked for an honest "bad" failure reasons, so I wanted to be honest.  Don't let my experience discourage you though.  Just like RNY, some have major problems and others have none.  Good luck,

Angie

(deactivated member)
on 1/11/09 4:27 pm, edited 1/13/09 1:38 am - Togo

m
Angie P.
on 1/11/09 9:23 pm - Warren, OH
My band had no slipped or twist...my body just did not respond well for it.  Unfortunately, acid reflux and the inability to eat are common with the band.  I've read hundreds of others state the same symptoms as me with the band - can't eat in the morning, can't eat at night, acid reflux all day every day, vomiting dialy (or others say pbing).  I tried everything because I WANTED it to work.  I never drank sodas EVER, I watched every bite I ate, and I chewed and chewed and chewed.  I didn't fail the band, the band failed me.

On another note, a doctor out west doing mini gastric bypasses has something on his site that states in Europe (where lap band was done 10 years before the US) they used to do mostly lap band.  However, over the years they have had a 60% failure rate, so fewer and fewer lap bands are being done as doctors move away from the procedure.  Now, it's what I read on his site (and he's trying to get people to have the mini gastric bypass as a revision from band).  Good luck,

Angie

kfgates
on 1/12/09 5:08 am - Bath, ME
I appreciate your honesty.   What a horrible experience for you and I am sorry you had to live thru it.    I am shocked that after throwing up 5 times a day you still were unable to loose weight.   Like I said I need to know the good the bad and the ugly.   I wish you all the best with your RNY.   I pray you get the results you are looking for and you are able to eat again.   Kimberly

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, and that is why they call it the present.

(deactivated member)
on 1/11/09 10:15 pm - Brampton, Canada
I think the major reason for not being successful with the band is not having good follow up aftercare.   The band only works if you have good restriction and it seems many people cannot afford to go for fills or defills when they are needed.  You also need to be motivated to succeed and understand that the band is only a tool and will not do all the work for you.  For some people the band doesn't agree with their stomach but for many like me it has been great and I have lost more than 100% of my excess weight and thrilled with my revision from VBG.

Most important is having a competent skilled surgeon and a band clinic that offers support, knowledge and long term aftercare.
kfgates
on 1/12/09 5:13 am - Bath, ME
Hi Donna,   You went FROM a VBG (what is a vgb) TO a lap band?    Whay did you make this choice.   Thanks for sharing!   Kimberly

(deactivated member)
on 1/12/09 6:37 am - Brampton, Canada
Hi Kimberly,

A VBG was what they did before the present day gastrric bypass.  It consisted of stapling the stomach but had no malabsorption componet to it.   Over time due to the way it used to be performed the staples would start to separate thus allowing us to overeat again.

I picked the Lap-band because I didn't need the malabsorption you get with rny and ds and the band would keep me with the restriction I require with follow up and being at a good fill level.  Everyone is different in what works for them in regards to revision surgery.
(deactivated member)
on 1/12/09 12:15 am
I had RNY, dont know anyone with a band, but I wanted to add that I feel that follow up care/support is essential! I had none, also, I think coming on here reading tips and stuff from others in the same boat is so important, no matter what procedure you had.  Knowing that it is only a "tool" and not an "answer" is key too. 
(deactivated member)
on 1/12/09 6:47 am - Brampton, Canada
Yes aftercare is definitely important regardless of your surgery type.  Best wishes on whatever you revise to.
Most Active