I know I need a Revision but I'm stuck...

LittleBrownGirl
on 1/11/09 12:10 am, edited 1/11/09 1:44 am - Broooklyn, NY
I had RNY 4 years ago and went from 335 to 195.  It took me 3 years to do it and it was not easy. My goal was 147. Not only did I not reach my goal, but as I write this, I am 230 lbs.  I have called and tried to schedule a consult for revision 3 times but have yet to go through with it. I don't know what's holding me back.  All I know is I am miserable. I feel like a total failure and just thinking about it makes me cry. 

Has anyone else struggled with deciding to have revision?  If the decision was hard, what helped you decide? I feel like the longer I wait, the bigger I get. What if it doesn't work? I really need some guidance here.

Thanks,
L.B.G.

mew6495
on 1/11/09 12:48 am - MI
 Deciding to undergo another wls is a very hard decision as it should be.  I think your fears of "what if this doesn't work are normal".  Once you actually start down that road and have made the decision I found there was not much that could keep me from it once my decision was made.

There are many choices for revision.  Do your research and make sure the one you choose, you can live with the good and bad.  They all have their ups and downs.  It depends on your life style and what you are willing to commit to.  2 important things to remember is 1st, pick the revision that is BEST FOR YOU, 2nd pick a qualified revision surgeon.  There are many wls surgeons but even less qualified revision surgeons.  And get what you want not what a doctor tries to talk you into.

You are not a failure.  Please don't let this feeling hold you back.  Start by getting your pouch and stoma checked out to see what condition they are in.  An upper GI and an endoscopy would give you info on this.  You may have a mechanical failure going on.  Re-evaluate your compliance to the rules of your original wls.  Are you in-taking high simple carbs, drinking with meals, getting enough protein etc.  

The DS show good long term results but has a higher risk factor as far as a RNY to DS revision.  Only you can decide if you can tolerate the risk.  There is also the ERNY (extended), you get the short common channel without the risk of taking down the pouch.  There is also band over RNY.  There seem to be mixed results with this procedure.  The Stomaphyx and ROSE procedure have not been getting good results at all.  Start reading and asking questions on this site.  Most folks are very helpful.  

Good luck to you.  Let us know how you make out.

LittleBrownGirl
on 1/11/09 1:41 am - Broooklyn, NY
Mew,

Thank you so much for responding.  I actually was on the waiting list for the Stomaphyx study but it ended before I could have the procudure.  Since it is incisionless, it did appeal to me. But if it isn't successful, not only would it be a waste of time and money but sooo discouraging to me.  I have alot of research to do. I was not scared to get my RNY but for some reason the idea of a revision makes me really nervous. I don't want to end up with major complications.  I will definitely be looking to OH for as much help as possible.

Thanks again,
L.B.G.
stina1979
on 1/12/09 11:22 am - OH
L.B.G.

I say, forget that darn stomaphyx and curses to it period (for most of those who didn't have success)  Personally, it seems to still be TOO experimental, and not something that a patient seeking revision for anything more than 20lbs regain should consider...

I'm personally in the process of looking into a RNY to DS revision, am am scared to pieces!!!!

I too am scared of the complications, as I'm very aware that I'm not a healthily woman as it is..

We'll be fine..

Hugs,

Stina
Kristina
(deactivated member)
on 1/11/09 6:03 am, edited 1/13/09 1:42 am - Togo

LittleBrownGirl
on 1/12/09 6:09 am - Broooklyn, NY
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my post.  I definitely understand what you are saying.  For me, a revision really is a last resort. That's kind of why I'm so cnflicted about even having the procedure.  The RNY truly was a tool for me, in every sense of the word.  I read how people effortlessly droped their first hundred pound in under a year and recall how hard I had to actually work to drop that in my first 14 months.  I know I am not doing every single thing I did when I first got my surgery, but I still try.  If I end up with a revision, it will truly be because nothing else works for me.  I just want to make sure I make the right decision.  I am terrified of failing at this process completely.  Thanks again for your feedback.

-LBG
(deactivated member)
on 1/12/09 2:24 pm, edited 1/13/09 1:48 am - Togo

2xacharm
on 1/11/09 7:08 am, edited 1/11/09 7:15 am - GA

Hi,

I had the rny almost 10yrs ago. I never lost all my weight or even got close to it. I just stopped losing weight and then went up and down about 25lbs for years. I never planned on having a revivison and had just accepted that I was meant to be a big girl. However, I used to be on this board years ago when it first started and learned that there was another surgery that I had not been aware of and that folks were not only getting all the weight off but were not struggling to eat like I had, nor were they having problems keeping the weight off. I wrote a note to myself back then saying, "if ever you did do a revision, the DS would be the one for you".

Anyway, it wasn't until recently that I started putting on some additional weight. Including the 25lb bounce I had, I am now 76lbs heavier and was recently diagnosed with hbp. This was the breaking point for me. This is what prompted my decision to have a revision.

After some research I decided to have the DS. But, what is funny is that I just recently found the note to myself saying, "if you do a revision, revise to the DS only".

ETA: These links for further information

www.dsfacts.com

http://www.duodenalswitch.com/

Charmed

First goal met: I'm back in my Skinny Jeans!!!!

I maybe down, but I am not out............I AM GETTING MY DS, BY ANY  MEANS NECESSARY!!!

Approved on 04/10/09
Scheduled for my Revision to DS 05/18/09 

Kerry J.
on 1/11/09 9:57 am - Santa Clara, UT
 I had a revision from my 1980 gastric bypass last September, you can check my profile to get the whole story and see some before and after pictures. I've lost 65 pounds so far and have another 45-55 to go. I love my DS, it's IMO far superior to the rny/gastric bypass I had before.

Kerry 
LittleBrownGirl
on 1/12/09 6:12 am - Broooklyn, NY
Thanks for replying, Kerry.  I'm gonna go read your profile right now.
Most Active