Revision Failed....HELP

jeanyjane
on 1/10/09 11:12 pm - Germany
Hi Susan,

I`m so sorry to hear that after having 2 surgeries, the band is not working for you - that really sucks. The closest thing to a permanent fix of obesity is the DS surgery, and the lapband can be revised to the DS relatively easy (revisions are always more risky, but it`s much more difficult and risky to revise the RYN oder VGB to DS). There are lots of studies out there that prove that the DS has the highest % of excess weight loss and the best long-term results, better then the RNY (which is way more common). With the RNY, the body will adjust to the bypassed intestines over time, and after 2 years, you will absorb nearly as much fat and protein like before surgery and need to keep your calories low and /or exercise a lot to keep the weight off. With the DS, you get lasting malabsorbation which makes it way easier to keep the weight off without dieting and keeping calories low-low. Look into it before making a decision!
lalala2
on 1/11/09 1:36 am - Winnetka, CA
Dearest Susan,

Except for the fact you first had a lap band, my story is similar to yours.  I had RNY surgery in 2001 and lost 110 lbs. in the first 18 months, then I stopped excersising (big mistake!), then I slowly started gaining the weight back, and over the last year have speedily started gaining the weight back.  By the way during the last two years I have been on a zillion diets and still have not been able to lose any weight long term.  Before RNY I was 330, now I'm 300.  I just want to cry.  However, I have been doing extensive research and 3 WLS consults later, I feel the best choice for me is a revision of my original RNY surgery.  I absolutely know that I am partially responsible for my weight regain as I did not change my lifestyle permanently (of course the first 18 months of the honeymoon period I was a lot better).  I, too, am successful at every other part of my life,--- I have a good career, and couldn't ask for a better husband or son.  I now have decided this is the year to work on me, so I can enjoy the rest of my life.  I congratulate you on venting, and then pulling yourself up by your bootstraps.  U R NOT ALONE! 
(deactivated member)
on 1/26/09 9:42 pm - TX
On January 11, 2009 at 9:36 AM Pacific Time, lalala2 wrote:
Dearest Susan,

Except for the fact you first had a lap band, my story is similar to yours.  I had RNY surgery in 2001 and lost 110 lbs. in the first 18 months, then I stopped excersising (big mistake!), then I slowly started gaining the weight back, and over the last year have speedily started gaining the weight back.  By the way during the last two years I have been on a zillion diets and still have not been able to lose any weight long term.  Before RNY I was 330, now I'm 300.  I just want to cry.  However, I have been doing extensive research and 3 WLS consults later, I feel the best choice for me is a revision of my original RNY surgery.  I absolutely know that I am partially responsible for my weight regain as I did not change my lifestyle permanently (of course the first 18 months of the honeymoon period I was a lot better).  I, too, am successful at every other part of my life,--- I have a good career, and couldn't ask for a better husband or son.  I now have decided this is the year to work on me, so I can enjoy the rest of my life.  I congratulate you on venting, and then pulling yourself up by your bootstraps.  U R NOT ALONE! 
Please don't take this the wrong way but I just have to ask. 

Why would you want another surgery that could fail again?

I'm really not being a smart ass here, just wondering if finances, insurance coverage, whatever is the reason.

lalala2
on 1/27/09 12:37 am - Winnetka, CA
I have done extensive research and feel my current plan of action is the right one for me.  The DS would have been my first surgery choice if I had known about it way back when, however my doctor feels the DS is way too risky in my situation.  Thanks for your concern though. 
Kerry J.
on 1/11/09 9:52 am - Santa Clara, UT
 Hi Susan,

I know how you feel, I had a gastric bypass back in 1980, lost most of my excess weight, then my staple line failed and after fighting the diet battles I eventually gained all the weight back. In September of this year I got a revision to DS, I lost 65 pounds between Sept. 17 and Dec. 2 and have been on a plateau of between 218 and 220 pounds since then. I believe my body is just taking a break and that my weight loss will kick in again very soon. Check my profile for the whole story and some before and now pictures.

Kerry
charleston-mom
on 1/26/09 12:53 am
Unfortunately, it's been my experience that lapbands just don't work - and can be very dangerous. I had a revision to RNY and it's the best thing I ever did. If there is any way you can have a revision, either to RNY or DS - either one is lightyears better than lapband.
Virgie Tschirhart
on 2/1/09 7:17 am - Midwest City, OK
RNY on 12/27/17

SUSAN,

IF I WERE YOU I WOULD DO SOME HEAVY DUTY RESEARCH.  I HAD MY LAP BAND IN APR 08.  ONLY LOST 3 FRICKEN POUNDS. 

I'M MORE CONVINCED THAT THE  DS REVISION WILL BE MY BETTER OPTION.  GO TO DS FORUM AND CHECK IT OUT AND TALK TO THE PEOPLE OVER THERE. 

HANG IN THERE GIRLFRIEND.

Virgie Tschirhart

Lap Band - 2008, Sleeve - 2009, RYN - 2017

Started Program Weight July 13, 2017 - 194.2

Before Surgery Weight December 27, 2017 - 185.0

Current Weight - February 2018 - 161.0

Most Active