Vitamin level good but OH NO...Protein level to low!

(deactivated member)
on 1/12/09 8:56 pm, edited 1/12/09 8:56 pm - AZ
Hey Marie,

That is cool about your labs the first time. I really like the Body Choice like Jeanna was talking about. It reminds me of kool aid. I go for my 6 month labs this week or next week. I hope my stuff turns out good. I was not taking Vit A and E and they were low the first time out. But I take them now. My Vit D was good and I was nervous about that one. I have some Vit D 3 on the tongue that dissolve real fast. I love them. You can get them at Sprouts if you want to check them out. Good job ! 
mew6495
on 1/13/09 10:25 am - MI
 Thanks Dawn!  I wish you luck on your next set of labs.     Hopefully your A & E come up.  It definitely almost takes a scientist to figure what you're going to need and when!

Good Luck!

PekinSal
on 1/13/09 6:21 am - UK
Cheese. That always goes down. If your math is the same as DS math (and I'm never sure) you have to eat about a pound of protein rich food a day to get in the 100g of protein you're aiming for. If you can tolerate fat, this includes good stuff like bacon and cheese though, none of that 'low-fat' bull****! I can't stand protein drinks, they all make me barf...

DS revision from failed lapband

mew6495
on 1/13/09 10:34 am - MI
 Gotta luv that cheese!  Which I do...and it doesn't even bind me up anymore like it did prior to my ERNY!  

I hear the math is the same so I will pick it up with the quantity....my PCP also said more animal protein, especially fish and chicken (better then beef & pork for protein) as it will help with the prebelim  sp?  But I am with you girlfriend on the protein drinks!  It is so tough for me to get them down.  So I go for the big hitters....lots of protein per ounce just to get them out of the way.  Them protein bullets are so YUCK!     But they pack 42g of protein in 3 oz!  So I hold my breath, plug my nose and chug them.   The longest minute of my entire day!

JRinAZ
on 1/13/09 10:57 am - Layton, UT
On January 13, 2009 at 6:34 PM Pacific Time, mew6495 wrote:
 Gotta luv that cheese!  Which I do...and it doesn't even bind me up anymore like it did prior to my ERNY!  

I hear the math is the same so I will pick it up with the quantity....my PCP also said more animal protein, especially fish and chicken (better then beef & pork for protein) as it will help with the prebelim  sp?  But I am with you girlfriend on the protein drinks!  It is so tough for me to get them down.  So I go for the big hitters....lots of protein per ounce just to get them out of the way.  Them protein bullets are so YUCK!     But they pack 42g of protein in 3 oz!  So I hold my breath, plug my nose and chug them.   The longest minute of my entire day!
Pleeeeeez don't eat a pound of meat each day and think that your body has absorbed all of that protein.  NOT!  Just like it doesn't absorb most fat; it doesn't absorb most protein either.  We have the disadvantage of "not" having part of our real stomach working in our behalf.  I think a true DSer may be able to get buy without the protein supplements?  It's not just math.  Fitday or spark people or calorie king or whatever doesn't have a way of breaking down the number of protein grams we actually absorb from food.  .....  A good quality pre-digested whey protein is absorbed as it enters (even in the mouth) and is not dependent on gastric juices or intestine guess work. (proven high quality favorites are:  Champion Pure Whey Stack, ProScore 55, Isopure powder, Nectars by syntrax, etc.)

Can't tolerate them stirred up with water?  check out the recipe link of O.H.  There are hundreds of ways to make each protein drink taste like something fabulous you got a Dairy Queen!!!  No need to suffer when you could ENJOY!

Balance......eat well, take a couple of protein drinks and live well, look great!

Hugggzzz and kudos to you for taking in the 42 grms of protein shots (by the way for those wondering:  shots=a small vile of protein)
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

(deactivated member)
on 1/13/09 11:20 am - Phx, AZ

Oh really, Ms Joycee???  I am in the market for a SIDE of beef, which MIGHT last me perhaps a week, the way I am scarfin' it down.  ha ha.  Moo.

It took me 5 weeks to be able to stomach the protein shots...or rather to tolerate the taste...if I could drink it, avoiding contact w/the FRONT of my tongue, I could do it.  Now I can drink 'em w/no problem.  I just bought a variety pack and like the Orange.  Besides, it is a quick 42 grams. 

PS:  How do they PRE-digest protein?  Sounds a little uggy to me.  Haha. 

JRinAZ
on 1/13/09 12:41 pm - Layton, UT
Hey you!
Love your signature line! How was your first week back at work?  .....  Pre-digested whey = kindergartners are milked at recess :-)

PS:  side of beef?  Eat tofu!
Joyce 

mew6495
on 1/13/09 11:20 am - MI
 Hiya Joyce.....

Didn't mean to imply that I was stopping all protein suplimentation in favor of meat as my only source.   Only meant that I will offset my protein drinks, shots, powders etc. with more meat, cheese etc....

Just looking for other options as well as my day is long at work and I don't always have the ability to quickly mix up a shake.  

As always thanks for the input.  I need all the help I can get!  

Hope all is well with you.

JRinAZ
on 1/13/09 12:47 pm - Layton, UT
Silly girlfriend!
Y'know you can eat an entire cow if that 's what you want "after" a good morning protein drink!  LOL !

guess i'm protein preachy  cuz  I've had such a struggle getting numbers up in the healthy zone.

Protein bullets are perfect  for those of us who have non-traditional jobs or who don't have the time nor the electrical outlets available for a while with our M agic Bullets (aka as hand blenders)!

Hugggzzz  to you!
Joyce 

Deanne K.
on 1/14/09 3:26 am - Tucson, AZ
Hey Joyce,
You can now get battery operated/rechargable magic bullets at Sam's Club here in Tucson.  They are not quite as powerful as the plug in kind, but work good.
Deanne
Most Active