Vitamin level good but OH NO...Protein level to low!

mew6495
on 1/10/09 10:05 pm - MI
 Whooo Hoooo!  I had my 3 month post revision blood panels done and all my vitamin levels were good!     I had been a bit concerned about my calcium level but looks like its ok.

However, I am a bit low on my protein level.    Both my PCP and Dr. S. called me to tell me to increase the protein intake.  Sure is nice to have 2 very good doctors looking after your health!  

Anyone have recommendations about protein?  I would like to also know if there is anything out there other then the typical protein powders and bars.  

ginau
on 1/10/09 11:37 pm - mesa, AZ
Congratulations Marie

You can shove steak and chicken in your mouth every waking hour!   LMAO 

But then again you have options,  Dr S like the proteinx  liquid shots - quick, esy and bring up levels , or the bullets?  I use the body choice from Costco and buy it online when costco is out of it, 2-3 ounces  4 sips and its down.

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

mew6495
on 1/10/09 11:42 pm - MI
 Thanks Jeanna!

I have been doing the bullets over the past week.  I haven't been able to find the "proteinx" where I live.  I will look for the "body choice".  

Thanks again!

ginau
on 1/11/09 6:15 am - mesa, AZ
Call and ask Jenn - I think they order online and have it shipped.  its very strong - but quick to get down and some good results.

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

(deactivated member)
on 1/11/09 11:08 am - Phx, AZ
Hey..... I am probably too early out from my revision...and I just had my labs drawn on Fri, so will find out the same bad news.....to increase my protein.  I didnt' like the protein shots, but have adjusted, and have ordered more...  I also have been making powder shakes with Atkins shakes as the base, adding protein powder (and strawberries).  OTher than this, I am pretty hungry all the time, so I eat, eat, eat whatever protein I can clean out of the fridge/freezer.  I have some pretty gourmet snacks lately. 

mew6495
on 1/13/09 10:37 am - MI
 Protein shots???  Do you mean shots like...OUCH a poke in the arm or...shots like a small glass that holds just a bit of liquid???

Good luck on your labs!  

Did your stoma stretch out?  Is that why the constant hunger?

(deactivated member)
on 1/13/09 11:13 am - Phx, AZ
When Dr. S mentioned to me about Protein Shots, I, too thought of needles... UG.  But it's 3.1 oz=42 gr of protein.  I get mine at Vitamin Shoppe.

As for the stoma, I dunno.  I think it has to w/watery diarrea right now.  I've added fiber, and it's subsided a bit.  Whew! 
Ruth A.
on 1/12/09 4:57 am - Letchworth Garden City, UK
Hi

glad to hear things are going well.  There is a recent post on the grads board about TVP - textured vegetable protein that you might be interested in.

Hugs Ruth
mew6495
on 1/13/09 10:40 am - MI
 Thanks for the tip!  I will definitely check it out!  Have you tried it?

Hope things are looking up for you.  Glad to see you still posting!

Ruth A.
on 1/14/09 12:40 am - Letchworth Garden City, UK
Yeh, it's pretty tasteless, so you have to add flavour to it.

I'm still around, tend to lurk more now as I don't really have much to offer at the moment.  Plus life has been stressville and manic for a while, but is beginning to settle down again, so hopefully you'll see more of me now...
Most Active