Revison from RNY

Goldiegirl
on 1/10/09 11:57 am - Brookfield, CT
I am not sure about what option to choose.  My first choice is DS, HOWEVER, there is the extreme possiblility that it will be possible so...here is my question.

Those of you that had RNY (and were not sucessful.  I only lost 50 lbs and gained back 30.  I was hopping for about 150) would you recommend the revised RNY or a lap band?

Can you share your revision experience and why or why not you liked it?  I really want to do this right this time and if I cannot do the DS, I want to make an informed choice.  KWIM?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Hugs

Ames
ginau
on 1/10/09 12:43 pm - mesa, AZ
My choice was  the Erny ..

My surgeon shortened my intestine.  I am happy with it! 

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

mew6495
on 1/10/09 9:50 pm - MI
I had proximal RNY in 2001.  Lost all my weight and then gained some back.  I had Extend RNY (ERNY) as my revision.  I am happy with it  and am only 25lbs away from my goal.  I had researched the lap band but felt there were to many folks who were not happy with it.

Good luck to you.

Nancy C.
on 1/11/09 6:00 am - Dallas, TX
Ames,
I would not recomment the lap band if you were not happy with your first RNY.  Most RNY patients lose more than the band patients.  And having just experienced complications from a lap band, I am setting up for a revision to the RNY.

Hope this helps.
Nancy            
(deactivated member)
on 1/12/09 2:38 pm, edited 1/13/09 1:33 am - Togo

stina1979
on 1/12/09 4:44 pm - OH
In MY opinion, I would not choose the Lap Band.  I had an RNY in 2001, and lost 150lbs (made goal)!!  Now almost 9 years later - most of it is back....  I don't have too much knowledge on it, but see quite a bit of negative posts on it. 

I am currently researching and on 2/3/09 will be visiting a surgeon to discuss a revisions to DS and I made darn sure that he did perform them and has performed a significant amount before I made the appt.  I read from the peeps on the DS board that a lot of docs will try and pull the old "bait and switch" on us unsuspecting ones....  (My original RNY surgeon's office staff claims that he performs revisions - HE DOES NOT....)

Best of luck Ames!!

Kristina

Kristina
(deactivated member)
on 1/12/09 8:49 pm - AZ
I was suppose to have a RNY in 1997 but my intestine was never touched. I was so upset when I had my ERNY done I could not believe the first surgeon never did what he was suppose to do. That's why I only lost 80 lbs. By restriction is pretty good but I needed the malabsorption part done. I think a person needs to research the DS and the RNY them self. You need to look at the pros and cons for both and make your own mind up. Best of luck.
Most Active