revision

ice-cream
on 1/10/09 8:10 am

i have a surgery date of feb 2 for a revision.  i wanted the stomaphx but after seeing what bad review it getting i opt to get the revision.  he keep calling it a revision but i don't know which revision he talking about.  this procdure would be done laposcope and would take about 2 hrs.  i had gastric by-pass surgery done in 03 loss a total of 175 lbs have gained back about 30 - 40 lbs. because of a stretched pouched and stoma.

stina1979
on 1/10/09 9:30 am - OH
Hi!  What kind of revision are you having?  I'm also in the process of looking for a revision from my RNY in 2001 to a DS.

Best of luck!
Kristina
My_Time
on 1/10/09 10:24 am - Bangor, ME
Hi, this question is a little confusing but I think the best thing to do is contact the Dr's office and let them know you want to know just what kind of revision surgery the Dr is planning for you.  I was in the same position before my surgery and this was the advise I received and of course it was the right advise.  I called the Drs office and they were able to look at my file and let me know with out talking to the Dr.  If they need to check with the Dr you should let them do so and contact you back.  Then once you know you can do a little investigation on this site as to what the surgery in tales.
Good luck.
Irem170
on 1/10/09 1:50 pm, edited 1/11/09 8:26 am - Fresno, CA
HI there!  I am having a RNY revision  Jan 14 2009. It is going to be about 3 hrs long and they are removing a bleeding ulcer and reshaping the pouch and shorting the intestine as well. I really didn't ask them what the actual name of it is. Maybe I should!
My first surgery was in 03 too and I lost 170 lbs and have regained about 40 lbs as well.. kinda weird huh... hehehehe.
blueskiesagain
on 1/10/09 5:01 pm - Birmingham, AL
I had a RNY in 03 and have gained quite a bit of weight.  I had a revision in 06--the predecessor to the stomaphyx (although I did not know it at the time).  I lost 20 lbs and $26,000.  (self pay).  It seems there is data to prove that more of the same type of surgery is not effective, so I encourage you to make your doc tell you what he/she is doing so you can do your research.  Dont mean to be redundant here, but I wish I had found this site previously.  The doc told me the surgery was for an ulcer (I did have one) and that tightning up the pouch would be a "bonus".  Lots of pain, (physical and monetary) for nothing.  Found out later the ulcers were still in a stage that could have been medically stabilized without surgery. 
Now I'm on the road to DS.  Just a word of caution from someone who has been there--know what your doc will be doing!
Best of luck to you!
Most Active