Lap band to RNY

LizMoore
on 1/19/09 6:35 am - San Diego, CA
yea I missed sandwiches too,,,dont forget to stop when u feel full,,cause u will dump and it wont feel good if you eat to much

sugar free is good,,like I said sf popsicle brand popsicles saved my butt.

yup I dump,,I dont do well with anything tomato based

but I dont have any problems with milk product,,I just dont care for it anymore..and I used to be an ice cream fanatic ! I dont care for candy either anymore,,
bjsoupy
on 1/23/09 12:44 pm - Indianapolis, IN

I am Bonnie and this is my first post on the site.

Everyone's story sounds so much like mine.

I am considering revision surgery because I am so tired of getting sick (3-5 times a day), the acid reflux and the pain.  I have only kept 30 lbs. off.  Initially I got my lapband done in Mexico by Dr. Sanchez in 2004.  I was 279# at 5'2" initially and lost about 60#.  My weight loss stopped so I got several fills to try and get it going again.

This was a big mistake because then I could barely get any fluids down my throat.  I got sick on everything.  Instead of losing I gained.  I finally went to a doctor more than a year ago to have fluid removed.  I also found my port had moved and so anything I have done would have to be under a fluoro. I was ok for a while then started getting sick again on everything.  At this point in time I have acid reflux so bad I can barely sleep at night.  I also have pain with the little food I can get down.  I am very hungry all of the time....I feel like I am starving and I can't eat!!!!  The problem is that the only foods that seem to work are the worse ones I could be eating **** cream, candy, etc.).  This is very discouraging.

It sounds like many of you have had the same thing happen so maybe I am not crazy.  I am considering a revision surgery to eliminate the lapband and wonder if anyone could share on either the RNY or ?   I am checking into my insurance options right now.  It scares me that the reflux and vomiting will become so bad that it could turn into an emergency situation.

Thanks!

vaweber
on 1/26/09 12:09 am
Hi Bonnie!
No you aren't crazy, it seems that our story is like many others.  I wish I had researched the lap band a little more thoroughly before I went in that direction.  It seems to work very well for some people, but it seems it either works great or it doesn't work at all.  It was all so very discouraging, going through all the sliming, gurgling, throwing up and not losing weight. 

I am approved for the Rny through BCBS.  I got my approval on Jan 9th and am still waiting for them to actually schedule me.....its driving me insane, LOL

Vicky
charleston-mom
on 1/26/09 12:39 am
I had revision from the band to RNY 18 months ago and it was the best thing, bar none, I have ever done. I lost just as fast as the first time RNY'ers and am down to 108, about a size 0 or 2 depending on the manufacturer. Good luck to you! There is no comparison between the two surgeries. RNY is lightyears better. I think lapbands are dangerous.
vaweber
on 1/26/09 1:53 am
Thank you!  You look amazing.....good to know that you lost as fast because I have seen several posts that said lapbanders lost slower after revision.  I think lapbands are dangerous too and am very anxious to have it removed.

Vicky
charleston-mom
on 1/26/09 2:44 am
I think the reason that they show a slower loss in some of the statistics is that they have to take into account that some of the people (not everyone) that failed at lapbands failed because they didn't eat right rather than mechanical failures of the band. Consequently, the statistics are taking into account a higher than normal failure rate that you don't see with RNY'ers because there is no data for them pre-surgery. If the bandsters failed due to not eating right, there is a higher than average lack of loss after RNY due to patient non-compliance. You still have non-compliance after RNY with some patients too, but there's no way to really track it like you can with failed lapband. If a revision patient follows the RNY diet religiously, they will lose exactly the same as an initial RNY patient. It's still the same in terms of calories taken in and malabsorption available, if that makes sense. The key is compliance.
vaweber
on 1/26/09 5:39 am
It makes perfect sense!  What do you normally eat on a daily basis?
charleston-mom
on 1/26/09 7:43 am
I'm kind of a creature of habit, but I've found what works for me, so I don't vary from it much. My typical day is:

6:00 a.m. - Venti chai tea (made with tea bags, not Latte which has sugary syrup) with 3 splendas and 1/2 inch skim milk on the top.

7:30 a.m. - Breakfast - one egg scrambled, fairly dry. They know me at the restaurant and don't use much butter.

10:00 a.m. - 1 Dannon lite and fit plus (the 60 calorie small size, usually peach or strawberry).

12:30 - Lunch - 3 ounces cold boiled shrimp, or salmon grilled without butter. 3-4 broccoli spears, steamed.

3:00 p.m. - 1/4 ounce dry-roasted Endamame

6:30 - Dinner - 3 ounces grilled fish (no butter added), some sort of steamed veggie - about 1/4 cup.

8:30 - 1/2 a banana, or small piece of fruit.

Throughout the day - Fuze slenderize drinks or hot tea, or crystal light. Sugar free gum.

I generally treat myself with 1-2 Werther's sugar free coffee flavored little bits. I think they're about 30 calories for 5 of them. I limit myself to 2.

I get the full amount of protein from the egg, fish and endamame. I don't find I'm too hungry and usually I can quell the hunger with hot tea.
vaweber
on 1/26/09 11:02 pm
Thank you for taking the time to write all that out!  It is very helpful.  I am supposed to get my schedule for all my pre-op testing today, so hopefully I will have my surgery soon after!
Most Active