Lap band to RNY

dempsey9878
on 1/12/09 4:58 am
omg!!! Your story sounds just like mine. I got lapband in may 08 lost 20 pounds right away then nothing i had gotten 4v fills and was still able to eat way more then a 1/2 cup of food. I thought i was doing something wrong. I then didnt go to the doctore for like 3 months cause i was so depressed. Finally went back and convinced him something was not right so he sent me for a upper gi. Found out it slipped. So i told my doctor i wanted gastric (which i should of got it the first place) so he contacted my insurance they said i would have to wait like 2 years to prove there was a complication. They did approve me for another lapband though. Im just so discourgaed. What are the chances it will happen again. I just had to write you and let you know that your letter made my day im not the only one. THANK YOU!!
funnursechick
on 1/16/09 1:27 pm - MS
Did your insurance pay for your first surgery? I had the Lapband 7/31/06, lost 40 pounds and now have gained back every single pound that I have lost. I am hoping to have RNY.  My first surgery was self-pay, but I now have insurance that covers bariatric surgery. Does the insurance company consider this a revision or do they just look at the fact that this is the first surgery THEY are paying for?  It is hard to see that others have had the same problems with the band, but I am glad I am not alone.

Elisa H.

vaweber
on 1/17/09 1:44 pm
My insurance paid 100% for my first surgery since I had met my deductibles for the year.  They are also paying for my second surgery!  They do consider it a revision and I was pretty surprised that they agreed to pay for another surgery.  I fully expected to be denied but was very pleasantly surprised.

Vicky
vaweber
on 1/17/09 1:34 pm
I'm glad that I could help you in some small way!  I have been very relieved myself talking to people on here.  I also felt like I was a failure and felt so discouraged and let down by the whole process.  So are you going ahead with the 2nd lap band or are you going to try and wait out the two years for the RnY.  I still don't have a date for my surgery but I spoke with the nurse Friday and my file is with the pre-op scheduler, so soon hopefully.

Vicky
Nancy C.
on 1/21/09 12:48 pm - Dallas, TX
Hi Virginia,
My story is very similar to yours.  I lost 40 pounds with the lap band probably within about 10 months and then didn't lose any more weight after that.  I was really discouraging.  I can't tell you how many times over the past two years, when I had the band, did I wish that I had just done the RNY.  As of today, I actually weight two pounds more than I did when I initially got the lap band.  I'm discouraged and waiting for insurance approval for the RNY.  I'm going to my family doctor tomorrow to have them note that my bmi is now 40 (39.9 but I'm hoping they will round up) and have my surgeon submit the information along with my request for the RNY.

I hope that you will work things out with your band.  I do understand how discouraging it can be when we aren't losing they way we thought it was going to be.

Hang in there.  You might check with your insurance on "medical necessity" for a revision if your doctor notes the need for the revision.  You might get a different response from them???

Best wishes,
Nancy            
emjayel56
on 1/16/09 9:39 am - Boynton Beach,, FL
Hi
my story is similar; had a lap band in 2001 lost about 60 lbs. maintained that loss and then over past year or so slowly gaining weight.  Band is leaking and possibly slipped..... got ins approval for RNY bypass... canceled surgery in November because of cold feet. now 22 lbs heavier I am going to do it.  just waiting for a date probably in Feb.  But I cant say i dont have reservations... would love to hear from people that have done this and if they recommend it or not. 
thanks all
maryjo
momma.nurse
on 1/16/09 10:53 am - Somewhere in the Southern area, IL
Hi Maryjo

I had my band placed in 2005.  I initially lost 60 # but slowly gained it all back over the past year.  12-29-08 had my band removed and went to RNY.  This recovery is much harder!  The "port" area is still very tender.  I am not gonna tell you not to do this, but just try to prepare for a different healing process. 
I was very nervous and scared but made it through it and am not really regretting it.

Lori
emjayel56
on 1/16/09 11:17 am - Boynton Beach,, FL
hi lori,
in what ways is the recovery harder?  more painful?  how is your quaity of life now?  thanks so much
vaweber
on 1/17/09 1:37 pm
Hi Maryjo,
Looks like my RnY will be sometime in Feb also.  I can't wait to get this lapband out of me! Hopefully, we will both have an easy time and this will be the right and last surgery we will ever need!  Take care and good luck!

Vicky
emjayel56
on 1/17/09 8:24 pm - Boynton Beach,, FL
Hi Vicky,
I sure can relate to your exasperation with the band and to get on with your life.  I also hope this is the last surgery for both of us.  How long did you have the band in? Mine's been in since 2001.  I had one surgery in 2005 because I had a Huge hiatel hernia that was interfering with the band... that did help at the time.  THe last year has been a major disappointment, especially the last 2 or 3 months.  I should have my date Monday or Tuesday and will let you know when it is and let me know when your date is as well.  Have a nice weeknd.
Maryjo
Most Active