Lap band to RNY

vaweber
on 1/10/09 1:16 am
Hi Everyone!  My name is Vicky and yesterday I got insurance approval for my revision.  I haven't gotten a surgery date scheduled yet but I am very excited and looking forward to talking to all of you!

Vicky
Vicky
lisacooper
on 1/10/09 8:09 am - new york, NY

HI VICKY N GOOD LUCK I JUST CAME HOME YESTERDAY N EVERYTHING WENT REALLY GOOD SO JUST PRAY!

vaweber
on 1/10/09 8:17 am
I have been praying a lot!  Congratulations and I'm happy for you that things went so well.....best of luck!  I hope you have a quick recovery.

Vicky
Nancy C.
on 1/10/09 11:05 pm - Dallas, TX
What is your revision?  From lap band or RNY?  To what?
Nancy            
vaweber
on 1/11/09 2:44 am
Hi Nancy,
My revision is from Lap band to RNY.  I've had the lap band since October 2007 and lost 30 pounds pretty quickly and then nothing, never another pound.  Didn't gain but my body just stalled.  Very disappointing.

Vicky
Virgie Tschirhart
on 1/12/09 2:27 am - Midwest City, OK
RNY on 12/27/17
Hi Nancy,

I also want to get a revision from a lap band to RNY.  My Lap band surgery was in April 08.  I lost about 17 lbs and then gained back about 14 lbs.  From 199 to 182.  Now back to 196.  Had 3 fills.  My insurance is blue cross blue shield federal.  Last year BCBS said only if the lap band slipped, erroded, etc  they will pay for the revision.  According to my lap band doctor and nurse I need to really apply myself and change my mind set and stop eating so much.  From reading in this website and others I've  found out that the band does not work for everyone.  I'm diabetic and I'm alway hungry. 1/2 cup of food is just not enough for me.   I wish I would have had the RNY instead of the band.   I 'm going to get the RNY done even though I have to pay out of my pocket.  Although, it would be nice if BCBS would pay for the revision.  What do you think?  Let me know.  I wish the very best for you and your revision.  Thanks,

Virgie
vaweber
on 1/12/09 2:53 am
Hi Virginia,
I have BCBS Anthem and they are paying for my revision from lap to RnY.  I only lost 30 pounds with the lapband so I am pretty excited to get the Rny.  I should have had that in the first place.  I was sick a lot with the lap band and had to have unfills several times.  My stomach would swell alot around my band and was just to sensitive to the foreign object in my body.
Virgie Tschirhart
on 1/12/09 3:24 am - Midwest City, OK
RNY on 12/27/17
Hi Vaweber,

I'm sorry that I called you Nancy on my previous reply.  Thanks so much for replying back to me.  Did BCBS ask for a reason for the revision?   

Virgie Tschirhart

Lap Band - 2008, Sleeve - 2009, RYN - 2017

Started Program Weight July 13, 2017 - 194.2

Before Surgery Weight December 27, 2017 - 185.0

Current Weight - February 2018 - 161.0

vaweber
on 1/12/09 4:12 am
Hey Virginia,
Thats no problem!  I am not sure exactly what my doctor told BCBS.  I just called the office and told them I wanted to have a revision and they doctor went over my file, approved it and then they sent to insurance.  I haven't even had to to into their office yet, which is good because its almost 4 hours away.  The preop coordinator is waiting for my file to get to her and she will schedule my pre-op testing and surgery.
bjsoupy
on 1/21/09 7:36 am - Indianapolis, IN
I'm new here but investigating revision from the Lap to an RNY or ?

It is good to see that I am not going crazy; especially about being hungry all of the time.  I actually think my hunger pains are worse than before I had the surgery.  My lap was done in 2004 by Dr. Sanchez in Mexico.  I lost 50-60 lbs. in the beginning (I weighed 279 at 5'2" and got down to under 220).   I was still hungry all of the time so I went in for my first fill then a second.   This restricted me so much,  I could barely eat at all.     As hungry as I was,  I started eating anything that would go down (all of the wrong things:  candy, ice cream, sweets).  So I started gaining and my band became even tighter.  My weight is now at 250 again.  It has not been uncommon for me to get sick at least 4-5 times a day or more and now I have acid reflux so bad I can't sleep at night.

Last year I had fluid removed from the band and helped me at least get fluids down. I found out my port flipped so I had to do this under fluro.  Now I still get sick when I eat,  have pain and still have acid reflux to the point I can't sleep at night.
I am considering revision and am looking at all of the options.  It looks like my insurance will cover a Roux en Y.   

Can a Roux en Y be done laparoscopically with a revision?
Most Active