Lap Band to RNY -- Taking a Survey

cuppyb
on 1/24/09 12:31 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Revision on 05/20/15 with
I was banded in Sept 06 and had it removed and RNY done on 10/28/08.  I have lost 60 pounds as of today and loving my RNY. 

Anyone who says sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain.- Author unknown

charleston-mom
on 1/26/09 12:44 am
I had a revision and lost just as quickly as the first time RNY'ers, so I think it's honestly a crock. I heard that too. It wasn't the case for me. I will say though, that it's really important to look at this as a totally fresh start. Be honest with yourself about what you were doing wrong wtih the band and be sure you don't repeat it with the RNY. Follow your doctor's and nutritionist's rules to the letter. Don't eat bad carbs at all. Stay away from bread, pasta, rice, sugar, all those things. The RNY will work for you, but when you have one failed surgery behind you, the tendency can be to make the same mistakes. Also, you can have the mindset, even subconsciously, that the other surgery failed and this one will too. You must fight that really really hard. Tell yourself, over and over again, that this is different surgery. It truly is. It is lightyears better than lapband. But all in all, it's not magic. It's just a tool. A much better tool than lapband, but you still have to really make that lifestyle change completely. I lost all of my excess weight after my revision, so I know it can be done. The mindset is the most important thing though. RNY is wonderful compared to lapband though.
Most Active