Now what?

(deactivated member)
on 1/8/09 5:36 am
So I saw a GI dr today, he wont do an EGD on me, he is doing an endoscopy.  From what I have read, that wont show pouch size or problems with my RNY, right?   The Bariatric Surgeon that my PCP referred me to wont even see me without these tests.  Wonder if I can call other surgeons on my own?  This GI dr today, didnt really seem to know much about WLS.  Seemed like a total waste of time! UGH!
(deactivated member)
on 1/8/09 6:18 am, edited 1/8/09 6:27 am - Togo

The endoscopy is a standard for wls. it will show what condition you are in inside and especially, and this is a little inside secret (pun there) it will tell what you have been putting in you. Meaning drugs and alcohol. Heavy drug users and alcoholics can not have the surgery because their bodies don't heal well. Their blood doesn't clot like it should and there can be serious consequences. 

He may have been flippant and short with you but having the endoscopy done is the right thing for him to be doing. It is needed by the bariatric doctor. 

The bariatric doctor can tell something about the stoma and so on, but the pouch size is better determined by the upper g.i. test when you ingest the barium. 

Not to worry.

Monique H.
on 1/8/09 6:57 am
I thought that endoscopy and EGD were the same thing and just abbreviations of the longer name for it. My doctor wanted the same things done (upper GI and endoscopy). Then he did the endoscopy again so he could look at it himself and on the same machine it was done on when I first had my surgery. It will let him know if your pouch is stretched out or not.
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
(deactivated member)
on 1/8/09 8:11 am
I guess I need to not jump the gun and look into the tests.  I actually have a call into a Bariatric Center to see if they will see me.  In the mean time, I will keep this appt that I have scheduled for the Endoscopy.
I thought that an EGD involved IV contrast or drinking it.
happy girl
on 1/9/09 1:41 am
EGD and Endoscopy are the same thing.  The IV and oral constrast is the Upper GI.  Most Dr's get both tests done for revision cases as far as I know, but if you only have one, I think having the the endoscopy is the one to have

good luck

2003 RNY, 2007 Revision Distal RNY
April 17, 2009 ~ fleur de lis TT w/Muscle Repair, Medial Thigh Lift, Ventral Hernia Repair 

(deactivated member)
on 1/8/09 9:58 pm, edited 1/13/09 2:01 am - Togo
From Nothisagain: "Wonder if I can call other surgeons on my own?"

(deactivated member)
on 1/9/09 5:48 am
On January 9, 2009 at 5:58 AM Pacific Time, coconut678 wrote:
From Nothisagain: "Wonder if I can call other surgeons on my own?"

Absolutely. Anytime you have concerns, doubts, or disagree with your pcp, go elsewhere. Try not to put your health care needs in the hands of one particular doctor. To do so lays you wide open to being personally discriminated against. 

All you need from your pcp is a referral letter. One that is open to anyone. I mean one that starts out by saying 'To Whom It May Concern'. With that you can pick and choose the bariatric doctor you want. Or have the tests done with whom you want, etc. 

So, even if my insuracnce does not require a refferal, the bariatric doctor will?  My dr is pretty good about doing what I ask (within reason of course) LOL
(deactivated member)
on 1/9/09 12:26 pm, edited 1/13/09 2:00 am - Togo

Most Active