VBG to DS Anyone?

wynter57
on 1/7/09 5:03 pm - Panama City, FL
Just checking to see if anyone has done a revision TO DS after having the old VBG?

I had VBG back in the 80s.

I would like to know how successful the DS surgery was after having the VBG previously.

Thanks in advance!

Wynter
Kerry J.
on 1/8/09 12:11 am - Santa Clara, UT
You should post this over on the DS board, I'm pretty sure there are some VBG to DS revisions there. I got a revision from my 1980 gastric bypass to DS last September and it's great. But I don't know if revising from VBG to DS is more or less difficult than from an old bypass. I would guess it's easier, but I don't know for sure.

Kerry
AngieB67
on 1/8/09 1:53 am - Bel Air, MD
I am a VBG revision.  I had mine done in the early 90's.  I managed to lose 50 lbs and keep it off for a while.  But over time, I was able to gain it all back and then some!

Next month, it will be 2 years since my DS revision and as far as I'm concerned, it was the BEST decision I ever made!  I have been able to lose 100% of my excess weight, had practically no complications and my recovery was smooth.  So I consider myself a success story!

---------------------------------

Kathy H.
on 1/9/09 3:59 pm - Kent, WA
hey there!

I had a VBG with mesh in the 80s as well, and I'm currently preparing for a revision to a DS. The three surgeons that I've spoken to say the VBG to DS revision is actually easier than the RNY to DS revision. I'm very hopeful that I'll be successful. Things are sure a lot more out in the open now than they were 20+ years ago... tons more information available, etc.

I've been told (and it makes perfect sense) that as a revision, it's imparative that you choose your surgeon wisely. There aren't a multitude of surgeons out there doing the DS, and just a handful of those that are reputable revision surgeons. I don't know where you're located, but check the list of surgeons at"

dsfacts.com

These are DS surgeons, and not all are DS surgeons who have a lot of revison experience, and you'll want both. It is, however, a place to start. The DS board is a wealth of information. too, and of course I'd be happy to pass on any information I've gathered along the way.

There's also a list of DS and revision surgeons with comments floating around the DS board. I tried to find it for you, but to no avail. If you post a thread asking for it, someone is bound to come along in a heartbeat with it.

Good luck to you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you considered the Duodenal Switch? Information is power.

Most Active