Anyone had a Revision done in Chicago

felicia W.
on 1/7/09 9:48 pm - chicago, il

Let me start off by saying that it totally disappoints me to have to even ask this question.  But it is what it is..... 

I had lapriscopic gastric bypass in 2002.  I have gained about 60% of the weight back.  Is it possible to have the surgery more than once?  I know surgery is not a fix, it takes a lifelong committment.  Needless to say I am a more responsible, mature adult now than I was in 2002.

I am now ready metally to make the committment needed to a healthier life.  I do have a different insurance at this time then I had when i originally had the surgery.  I'm thinking I can go thru a different hospital with my new insurance?  Or should I go to back to my original surgeon at Northwestern to see what they suggest?  Does your insurance take you through more the second time around?  What kind of tests are done to find out if the tool still works?

Any POSITIVE thoughts and/or comments would be appreciated! 

Kerry J.
on 1/8/09 12:03 am, edited 1/8/09 12:04 am - Santa Clara, UT
Check over on the Duodenal Switch board, there are several people there from Chicago and I think some are revisions.

I had a revision to DS from my 1980 gastric bypass and it's great. You have to have all the testing your surgeon requires, in my case it was extensive. Revisions are more difficult than virgin WLS so the testing will probably be more than for your first surgery. Also, you need to make sure you get a surgeon that is very experienced with revisions, it's much more demanding than a virgin surgery.

Kerry
Binxalways
on 1/8/09 8:05 am - Oakbrook Terrace, IL
Hi there!  I had my original Lap RNY in 2002 - Over the years my pouch stretched, my stoma relaxed, and I got a hiatal hernia of the pouch.  My choice was to have the lap band over my failed RNY.  I had my original surgery at Stanford in California, but my band over bypass revision was performed by Dr Jefferey Rosen in Downers Grove, IL.  I know it isn't Chicago, but it is a pretty close suburb.  The hospital I stayed at was Advocate Good Samaritan.  Dr Rosen ran a bunch of tests, such as upper GI's, sleep studies, EKGs, bloodwork, etc.  The test that proved that I needed a revision was the upper GI showing the hiatal hernia & stretching of the pouch.  I was able to be approved through my insurance (BCBS IL PPO) for the revision...It took some work, but Dr Rosen's staff handled it and everything worked out. 

There are different revision options for failed RNYs, so you should look into all of them.  I am thrilled with my choice to get the lap band over my bypass and I don't think I could have picked a better surgeon to do it, but everyone is different.  

If you don't mind me asking, how old were you when you had the surgery in 2002?  You mentioned in your post that you are a more responsible and mature adult now than you were in 2002?  I'm just curious because I was 20 when I had my first surgery in 2002, and now I'm 27...So, I was just wondering if you had your surgery at a young age?

I wish you the best of luck!!

Sincerely,
Elizabeth 
felicia W.
on 1/8/09 10:17 pm - chicago, il
Hello,
Thank you for your reply.  I think I will make an appointment with my doctor to start the process. 

I had my rny when I was 26 years old.  I am more mature now that I've become responsible for 2 other lives. (my children)

Most Active